The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

That reply should have been to strop. I don’t know why that wasn’t specified.

Edit: @Darkshine5, turns out that you did name the car incorrectly as well :sweat_smile:

Anyway. I agree with your entire post except for

I’ve been known to enter a challenge with a specific trim of a car that I’ve already designed. That’s actually how I became Round Master right now. The Boss Executive Sport 302B was actually one of many trims and used an engine variant from one of my biggest families. I just make the point of renaming everything before I export it. When you make sure the names are clear, it’s easy to pick the right car.

Replies to the last post in the thread never specify the user they’re addressed to, because it is assumed that it is the last poster that is being addressed. This isn’t always the case, though, and I find myself worrying I’m also being less clear than I intended to be. I wonder if @zeussy can do anything about that.

Normally I’d just “Like” something I agree with, but I’m not sure that’s obvious enough. I support being able to keep multiple trims because the export function automatically bundles them all together, and it would be a pain to have to delete those after exporting the lot so you could export your single trim in one name etc. etc.

As it stands the majority of contests have users making something purpose built so it is not as common to see somebody submit a single trim from their lineup, but to have this restriction would cause problems for those of us who do, and is easily fixed by simply having and following a simple naming convention.

1 Like

Yep which comes back to naming the right way. i am in the same position with this entrant i actually have about 15 trims what i do is export all the trims to a folder I created in automation, I then reload my game and delete all the other trims, then I have one trim with one engine trim to send to the comp host and my “factory” cars are backed up and not taking up space. but that’s just me and I am weird.
edit: @strop as I have been slack (no really I am working 19hr days and its killing me) I have a game full of competitors cars in the PPHC (reviews are nearly done I promise). So for me backing up my factory cars works better for myself (its a pain in the arse but) as I can delete everything and start fresh I even have a folder keeping records of all the competitors that I have had PM’d to me just incase
sorry KLinardo for hijacking the thread

2 Likes

lol I got ninja’d. I was just saying how bothersome that process would be (as it has been in the past for me) :laughing:

2 Likes

Right here’s the problem with these extensions.

I’m only taking revisions. It’s inherently unfair for you to tweak the car for performance because you failed the initial inspection…

That’s dishonest to the whole point of making the cars compliant on the first attempt. I’ll look at your car. If I think you took advantage of your resubmission I’ll judge accordingly.

1 Like

didn’t i asked you to just ‘fix’ the aero slider? instead of a resubmission to make you work twice?
or did i forgot to edit that in?

if so. i’ll revert the car back right now.
since i may misunderstood ‘resubmission’ as a chance to fix other faults for everyone caught in it as well.

@koolkei I think there is a disconnect between what I meant and what you understood. I will adjust the aero tab according to the picture you PM’ed me. I will not consider a substantially altered vehicle. Your revision has been received.

okay then. reliability problem fixed:P
but now, i must’ve missed that safety rule. just by 0.5, so fuck my past self for missing that.

######reading back my posts, i apologize for being an annoying, whiny, and salty little brat. i’ve been brainwrecking all day today.

2 Likes

I’m kinda curious to see your improved stats actually. Although obviously I don’t want to be competing against them :stuck_out_tongue:

#Time for Cuts

December 1, 2012 - Ah, it’s time to start narrowing down my list. I’ve been soliciting dealers from Richmond, VA to Blue Anchor, NJ looking for cars that fit my tastes. My mailbox has filled with plenty of brochures of the various cars. 25 to be exact. However, there’s no way I’m going to be able to have a go with all of these cars. I just don’t have the time or the desire to make myself that available. I suppose it’s time to sit down and make some somewhat arbitrary cuts.

Cuts are never fun. Flashbacks to being picked last in the proverbial recess or gym game can always be disheartening. You never want to be the last person to be picked to the point where the sides debate who actually has to accept you onto their team. Unlike that scenario, you don’t want to be picked right now. Your goal is to stay hiding in the pile of prospective vehicles, subtly pleasing my tastes so that I can thoroughly examine you later. If you stand out now, you’ll be standing on the outside looking in when it’s time for the final round.

##Round 1

Well the first few are easy, even though they are disappointing.

The Bogliq Coyote Sport @HighOctaneLove, ZX-100 @TheUltimateD00M, and Tredate-F @koolkei are all out of consideration for subpar safety. I’m a good driver, but I want to know that if I do catch a case of the stupid and wipe out through my own fault, or if some moron takes me out on I-95, I manage to walk away. The Salem V12 @Fayeding_Spray looked really promising, but it’s from 1976 and it’s just not reliable enough to trust frequently. It’s a shame, because I would have been interested in a classic cruiser, but age takes it’s toll and I’m not going to chance being stranded with a 40 year-old car.

##Round 2

The next thing, I suppose, would just be looking at the cars. I want to be proud to take the car out and drive it around. It has to appeal to my tastes. I don’t think I’m too picky, but I’ll certainly be able to reduce the field to something I can manage actually looking at in person over the course of a weekend. Not to mention, if I don’t like it on the lot, I’m going to hate it in the driveway. Time to purge the field.

@Denta, Pragata Artha Super V8

I don’t know what to say about this car. It was actually the last one I took out of the “considering” pile when I went through the cars this time around. When I first saw it I wasn’t sure what I would do with it. There’s nothing about the design that makes me back away slowly like some of the other cars I’ll be eliminating, but it didn’t do enough for me to keep it in the pile. It just looks a little too much like a standard sedan. Nothing, except the spoiler, really says “I can dust you.” Now I love sleepers, but this just feels like your late 90s, early 2000s Taurus or Impala. The engine is also badged as a 5.8L, but it’s 3 cc shy of 5L. The fact that it was from 2002 didn’t help it much.

@Puffster, ABR Ibex

If I look at your car and immediately think “ricer,” you are not going to get me to make a purchase. Now the car clearly isn’t a ricer. It advertises a 5.2L V8 that probably sounds awesome and has a great torque curve. Problem is that I can get that elsewhere and I just despised everything about the looks of this car. I don’t want to have to explain to people that the motor is actually stock to the car when I pull up in it. You’re not expecting a V8 in this car. But, it’s still not a sleeper. It looks like a tuner from the factory and that’s not what I’m looking for. They could put a 7L V8 in a Honda and I still wouldn’t buy it. The same applies here.

@TR8R, Cruzer Dayglo

This car certainly lived up to it’s name. It jumped off the pamphlet as soon as I took it out of the mailbox. It was neon green. Oh, and it had a 6L V12 that was rated for 682 HP. My mouth watered a little. However, I was really glad that the brochure had a picture of the rear. I don’t know who designed the light array, but they should be banned from the automotive design room forever. The back of the car looked hideous. There were round lights bulging out from every smooth surface. I want people to get a good look at my taillights when I dust them with this potential car. I’d be embarrassed to pull out in front of anyone with this monstrosity. 682 horses wasted because of tail lights. It’s a travesty.

@Darkshine5, ANZhotrods Broadhead

No, just… no. Why would I want the intakes to come through the hood in my line of sight? They make hood scoops for a reason. The only practical excuse to have an intake outside the car is if it’s a snorkel on an offroader. This car does not fit that bill. Everything else on the car flows really well. The engine is a 8.2(5)L, 503ci V8 that makes just shy of 700 HP. This little sportster weighs as much as a sedan, but who cares when I have 700 HP from a huge V8 that could put a Cadillac Eldorado to shame. I just cannot get past the intake and throttle body coming out of the hood of this car. A big hulking power bulge in the hood would have been more appropriate. I don’t need to draw any more attention to myself with an obnoxious intake when the power of this car would have sufficed.

###8 cars off the list with 17 still to be considered.

#More cuts coming soon.

2 Likes

This here is a discerning customer who isn’t holding back on his opinions! I like and am more than a little relieved that I wasn’t in the firing line lol

seems i forget to renamed my engine :stuck_out_tongue:

well thats seems im out from the big list then

Looks like I will get a top-17 finish (at worst) after all… I fixed my car just in time.

I think the Deneb RE’s mediocre fuel economy will be its weak spot… it’s close to 18mpg
At least i made it look nice :smiley:

http://imgur.com/qWC3QwF

http://imgur.com/VKh1awx

1 Like

#More Cuts

December 2, 2012 - It’s another day and I need to figure out how else I can thin out the herd of cars that I will be looking at to buy. I always preferred a car to have an excellent power plant. You also cannot have a good muscle car without a big beefy V8. However there are some V12s in the field too. Looks like I’m going to have to consider engine reliability and power outputs to make this a little more manageable.

##Round 3

@Der_Bayer, Hammercat Vizor 6

This car cleared the looks stage no questions asked. I didn’t even look at it twice. That’s probably the only reason it made the first cut. Unfortunately, the Hammercat is only powered by a 333 HP Inline 6. That was disappointing. This car was clearly designed to be a sporty little coupe. I’m sure that the car gripped the road well and did it with little frill. This car had the appearance of a roadster that was all about feel and control and less about power. There is nothing wrong with that and I deeply appreciate a car that is all about the feel. However, I want a car that will pivot when I stab the throttle in a curve. I prefer having to feather the throttle as I manage a stupid amount of torque I have on tap from an excessive motor. This car just will not be able to give me that. I’m sure it will appeal to other markets.

@CamKerman, Senia Rocket Mk. 9

I wanted this car to perform well. It looked absolutely sharp and it had a 649 HP V8 powering a RWD sedan. Someone knew the kind of thing I was looking for in a car. However, I was a little concerned about squeezing 649 HP out of a 6L V8. It’s a relatively small displacement for so much power without a power adder. I did some research on the engine and it turns out that the block and top end are all pretty well designed. It turns out that the engine’s weakness are the steel connecting rods. The flatplane crank opens up the window to spin the motor really fast, but the connecting rods just do not have what it takes to endure sustained outputs of 600 HP. That’s a shame, especially considering the power all comes at the end of the rev range. Some titanium connecting rods would have given greater endurance and probably could have resulted in a few hundred more RPMs.

@lordvader1, Hercules

This car just suffered from trying to do too much with standard equipment. This car absolutely had the looks of a muscle car (although it screamed Chevy Camaro to a Ford guy like me), but the engine components just couldn’t cash the check the stat sheet was writing. From my reviews, it seems like there was no one weakness in the motor. In fact, it was amazingly tuned to the point of having a flat torque curve without the assistance of sustained boost through a turbo. However, the engineers didn’t invest any money on making sure there were high end components for a high end power output. It’s a shame considering the sticker price was $24,860. I would have gladly paid $30k for better quality. I don’t care about dyno sheets. Those are just numbers. I care about being able to drop the hammer, make use of plenty of power, and not worrying about whether I’m taking significant lifespan out of my engine every time I get over 4000 RPM. I cannot say that about this car, and thus, I cannot justify buying it.

@findRED19, Barracuda FSX-R

I really liked the FSX-R. It was old school muscle. It was promising to see such a clean vehicle from 1970. I had a few issues with the backstory. I don’t know that the mileage is actually 36,000 and not 136,000 as old school odometers were pesky and sometimes only had 5 digits as this vehicle does. I’m also very concerned about the vehicle’s road racing history. I don’t know how much torture that 455 CI V8 has had to deal with. I also am concerned with just how much work this car has had done to it over the years. It’s far from original and it doesn’t have the sentimental value to me as I’m sure it does to the prior owner. I can’t bring myself to spend a good deal of money on a car that has been modified, restored, and tweaked over the years. The car also just inherently suffers from being an older vehicle. With 455 CI, I would hope to see north of 400 HP. I certainly could think of ways to eek out more than the 382 HP the factory dyno sheet shows. With the car having already been modified extensively, I may have been more inclined to buy if this was an old body that had a newly rebuilt motor dropped into it.

###12 cars down, 13 to go.

Writing this during the Ford GT’s return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans is proving to be extremely difficult…

5 Likes

@KLinardo lol wut
engine reliability 63.4
average reliability 66.5

lets scale this to 100.000 kilometers
every 63.400 kilometers something needs to be replaced/serviced for the engine
every 66.500 kilometers something needs to be replaced/serviced for the other parts

50 driveability so its still tameable unlike a mustang that hits a crowd
49.8 sportiness, tameable but still sporty

plus a almost 50/50 weight distrubution, for lovely snow drifts

As to reliability, you were less reliable than the remaining cars in the field. I’m not saying that it was bad quality, I’m saying that the rest of the field was more reliable and offered comparable power.

Your stats are commendable, I’m sure, but this challenge was advertised as subjective from the start. Part of the challenge is getting me into your showroom. You failed to do that in this case.

Mustangs are completely tameable. It’s the drivers, not the design that causes issues. Pull my driving record and you’ll find that I don’t have that issue. Thanks for venting your frustration.

1 Like

Looks like I’ve made the top 13. At least I’m within my lucky number.

Great to see that my ambitious entry is still in contention.

Cutting entries in stages with this many entries adds extra suspense to the results. I foresee this catching on in future.

It looks like paying particular attention to the Muscle Car template is paying off so far.

EDIT: My reactions so far to the cuts:

With this I actually breathed a sigh of relief. The Hammercat looked really good. But when I realised what powertrain it had, it certainly seemed more Euro than 'murican.

First reaction: oh dear, my engine is the same size and puts out nearly as much. I do believe I also used steel connecting rods, but was my redline tuned more conservatively? I definitely didn’t push it so hard as to start causing serious issues and kept the reliability of about 75 if I remember correctly.

Wow, the feels pitch backfired spectacularly :joy:

@koolkei Don’t you find the wheels in that body look really small?

1 Like