The HD Remaster Challenge [finished]

I think this was the first picture I ever took from the first car I ever made. Picture says it’s from 2016:

I honestly don’t know how the hell I would remake this (or even if I’d want to). But it’s crazy seeing this again.

Edit: Here’s another VERY EARLY one, I was trying to recreate my first car (1981 Pontiac Bonneville). I remember taking FOREVER on those side marker lights lol

4 Likes

Since these are some of my earliest builds with photographic evidence and a desire for a redo, I think I’ll try my hand at recreating this Totally-Not-An-Acura from 2019. At the very least, I haven’t done something like it in a while.

3 Likes
18 Likes

Impeccable timing; I have occasion to remaster (ok, with a few years added) a certain notorious Personal Luxury Wagon…

3 Likes

first f1 car i made

My latest f1 car

10 Likes

My very first car:

And the remaster:

19 Likes

You can use Ctrl+Prt Scr to take a screenshot rather than having to use your phone. F12 also works if you’re running Steam. If you do that, then it’ll show up in your Steam screenshots folder

1 Like

I know, but I wasn’t aware of that 5 years ago when I took that picture

6 Likes

Well obviously you should jump in your time machine and tell past self that

11 Likes

I already used a remake of my first challenge entry for mlc2 so it must go to my second challenge entry instead. This was for CSR106, a somewhat infamous challenge for anyone old enough to be around then.

I think this was a time when i still just used vanilla fixtures, and here are some photos that i amazingly still have on an external hdd.

and hereis the link to the original post.

2 Likes

Oh god, looking back at my very first post is a ball of cringe, but I have been tempted to remake this car in the past.

I did also used to play on a toaster, so it’s not like I have much to work from haha. My Current WIP tries its best to keep the same anachronistic design as this car, so we’ll see what happens.

A laboured link out of regret because I was cringe then but the old php formatting and potato quality (alongside some really cringe lore) should be catalogued.

5 Likes

you can smell those 7 pixels mmm

1 Like

It’s honestly speaking not bad for a Kee car, spare for the trunk mounted exhausts.

1 Like

Well, not my first ever made car, when I made that I had played a lot of hours already, but… not as frequently as I did when I started with Automation again. Also, I last played in Kee era more or less, so I had to start from basically zero.

Still, this car was everything but beautiful and had not really a clear identity. I also picked it because I completely reworked it last year AND I still have the old pics, which isn´t the case for other models I improved with the same effort.

A body update surely helped, too, but by now I am very confident and experienced in using advanced techniques, allowing me for head- and taillights consisting of multiple parts, as well as better sizing and placement of fixtures. I also managed to give the car a japanese-alike look, although its meant to be Austrian, but the overall design is now expressing something in contrast to the old one.

8 Likes

My first car ever, a replica of a 1980 Volvo 343 GL

I tried to count the fixtures from the pics. 17 maybe?

Remastered. Fixture count with a “dummy” interior: 127.

18 Likes

So the oldest car I have a picture of on my HD is this the Ceder Friala → Ferdon Lutece, while the name of the vehicle has changed, it in spirit the same vehicle remade. This was made on the KEE engine (you lot don’t know how lucky you are these days) in 2017 and remade in 2024 after multiple revisions of the game.

24 Likes

My first vehicles are very one-sided designs which are not my strength even now and don’t allow for much redesigning. Its only slightly over a year old, but I wanted to take my first challenge entry from QFC19.

Unlike what this ad says, this car is hilariously terrible. It is equipped with a 2.2-litre inline-5, turbocharged, longitudinally mounted driving the front wheels. It also uses nearly no quality whatsoever, and still managed to be 24,000 in the older version of automation.

I’ll admit, this is a bit of an extreme redesign. It doesn’t share the same body, engine, wheelbase, general design language, and whatnot. The faulty five is replaced with a smooth six, front-drive with rear-drive, wheelbase extended from 2.6 to 2.8m.
It does however serve the same purpose, being a compact executive sedan, and being less bad at being that. Its significantly more reliable (52 → 75) more comfortable (49 → 52), easier to drive (64 → 68) and cheaper at that (24000 → 22000).

Other pictures

15 Likes

Pre-Remaster Naiitsu DSS6

And the not pre-remaster Naiitsu DSS6 Roadster

8 Likes

I could consider remaking the Kee-Era Albury Crusader Mk2:

A later trim of it ended up becoming one of my more memorable Kee-era challenge submissions. However, the whole line was built on what is now a legacy body, and the shortcomings that afflicted both it and its intended replacement (the '89 Z15A/Z16A-like 2-door coupe) effectively mean that I would rather use one of the newly introduced '92 Evade body sets if I get the chance to remake it.

4 Likes

i deleted most of my old cars a while back but this survived sadly. time to remaster, but i think ill make it worse than it already is.

2 Likes