TMCC15: Malaise Vigilante

TMCC15: Malaise Vigilante

Submissions Closed

Chaz On: Vehicle Type

“The director thinks thinks a mundane domestic sedan really fits our main character, and I agree. We might consider an alternate type of vehicle if captures the underdog essence of our protagonist and won’t look ridiculous in our climatic chase scene through the subway. One thing is certain, however: absolutely no eye catching sports cars or muscle cars. This is a guy who needs to blend in, not stand out. Also, no small foreign cars. They’re fun, but they won’t work here.”

Chaz On: Chassis and Drivetrain

“We’re going to repeatedly launch this car over jumps and curbs, a robust rear wheel drive platform with a solid rear axle is a must. I prefer body-on-frame vehicles for cost and durability reasons, but some of these new unibody cars are pretty good, too. And as much as I enjoy a good four-on-the-floor, we really need an automatic transmission for this type of job. Besides, our actor took a bullet in the left leg during the war and can’t work a clutch very well.”

Chaz On: Powertrain

“Maybe I’m a Luddite, but give me a simple old school V8 any day of the week. Cast iron, pushrods and carburetors are a proven combination. I guess it’s possible to get decent performance out of a six cylinder, but then our foley guy has to dub over all the engine sounds to make it sound good. Sadly, all these cars are strangled by emissions today, but that’s the world we live in. That said, I don’t want a ringer. If a car shows up running pig rich with a big lumpy cam, no cat and shiny chrome headers, I’m going to send it back. Legal, factory stock cars only.”

Chaz On: General Engineering

“We’re not looking for a piece of junk. We want the best engineered car possible given insanely restrictive vehicle legislation and market conditions. It needs to balance reliability, economy, performance, safety and comfort in a complete package that makes sense for today. I never put an actor or stunt driver in a car that I wouldn’t drive myself. I don’t expect a race car, but sweat the details like you would a race car, whether it’s the ignition timing or the shock valving or the brake balance. I promise, we’ll notice.”

Rules, Regulations and Realism:

• Trim, Variant and Engine Year: 1975
  • Maximum Cost: $18,000 (Revised)
  • No Quality Sliders, Positive or Negative
  • Ladder or Monocoque Chassis
  • Galvanized or Corrosion Resistant Steel Chassis Material
  • Front Longitudinal Rear Wheel Drive
  • Solid Rear Axle
  • Maximum Eight Cylinders
  • Pushrod Only for Vee Engines, Pushrod or Direct Acting OHC for Inline Engines
  • Two or Four Barrel Carburetor(s), Maximum of Four Total Barrels
  • Cast Exhaust Manifold(s)
  • Maximum Loudness: 35
  • Regular Unleaded Fuel
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Hard Long Life Tires, No “Tire Width” Suggestions or Warnings
  • Maximum Wheel Diameter: 15 Inch
  • Minimum Tire Profile: 65
  • Steel Wheels
  • Rear Drum Brakes
  • Minimum Five Full Size Seats
  • Minimum Standard Interior and AM Radio
  • Power Steering
  • Minimum Standard 1970’s Safety

Submission Format:

Vehicle Model and Engine Family: TMCC15 - User Name
Vehicle Trim: Vehicle Brand and Model
Engine Variant: Engine Designation

Entry Deadline: Saturday, February 5th at 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

7 Likes

Could be fun. With 4.2, Bricksley does occasionally use V8 engines. Of course, it has to be asked, would turbocharging be allowed, as I believe it unlocks in 1975, and thereby could theoretically make it into a vehicle? I’m fine with it either way, because either way, I’m planning on using the 1970-based Bricksley 427ci V8 in whatever I build.

Everything else checks out as being exactly what I’d expect for a perfect Bricksley. I just need to design a big 4-door sedan, because I’m sure you don’t want a big two-door sedan.

No quality sliders? Can I ask why. I understand no abuse but a couple here and there should be realistic. At the end of the day the price will keep it in check.

Normally I’d say turbos would be too anachronistic, but with the recent update, I’ll allow them simply so people can play around with them. I would not expect them to be competitive, however. Four doors would be preferable, but two door sedans are not expressly prohibited.

2 Likes

Is a boring, mundane wagon allowed, or is that just a tad too downtrodden?

The intent is to promote clever and meticulous design and engineering choices instead of throwing money at problems until the budget is maxed out. I just don’t find that especially interesting. It also makes it much easier to judge the entrants on an even keel, in my opinion.

1 Like

Does minimum standard 70s safety mean that advanced 60s is allowed, or not?

Allowed, but the execution would have to be spectacular for the director to give his approval.

1 Like

If the safety score is higher with advanced 60’s, I’ll allow it.

2 Likes

Oh, something more important - which grade of fuel should we use? Edit: NVM, saw it.

It’s in the rules, but Regular Unleaded 91 RON.

Any restrictions or benefits from tuned fuel RON, besides common sense?

No advantage to tuning for less than 91. In fact, I’d probably dock you for sacrificing power and efficiency in an era where both are hard to come by. No, as long as you’re not knocking, you’re good.

Technically, catalytic converters were’t required by law at that point, the emissions standards of the day were just really hard to meet without them. Would it make sense to have an emissions target that if hit, would negate the cat converter requirement?

Negative. This is an exercise in automotive masochism, and two way catalytic converters are necessary to inflict the most intense suffering possible.

4 Likes

This would mean the only types of manifolds eligible for use would be either cast log or short cast.

As long as it’s a coil- or leaf-sprung live rear axle, it’s in.

What about panel material? I’m expecting it to be standard steel and nothing else (fiberglass and aluminum don’t make any sense for the era and type of car the director is looking for).

As for dual exhausts on V-type engines, will you allow us to use those?

From this, I suspect Chaz is implying that anything with a wheelbase of under 2.7m (rounded to the nearest 0.1m) won’t be accepted.

I reckon this should be a 3-speed unit for realism’s sake.

Can they be cross-ply or radial? And as for wheel type, I’m expecting most entrants to stick to steel wheels, but what about cast alloy wheels? Are we allowed to use those? I don’t think forged magnesium wheels will make sense given the rule set, though.

As far as your last question goes, new models for 1975 were coming off the line with radials. Some makers even touted their new “Radial Tuned Suspensions” with lettering on the dash lol.

1 Like

I agree with mart1n here. Given how relatively restrictive the rules are for this already, I don’t think allowing the use of quality sliders is going to effect much before you start running over budget.

I will add that, without even a single slider, there’s going to be a lot of valve float with those pushrods. These are my style of cars, though.

Not so much with 4.2. We have valve spring stiffness to help with that now.