TMCC16: Sensible Speed

Sadly no

Damn. I’ll happily take the instabin I guess. Just the small error makes a difference in terms of outcome.

Yeah, try to read the rules more carefully next time. I’ve also had to instabin another car because of a very small mistake :,)

2 Likes

I’d get binned anyway for pricing if i did equip the car with an auto. I guess. :man_shrugging:, Maybe i’ll try next time in TMCC17 or another equivalent car judging challenge.

2 Likes

Had me sweating and double checking my submission. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve had my fair share of instabins,…so I’m worried :fearful:

1 Like

I am sorry.

More used to challenges where the choice of shifting device doesn’t matter

Yeah, I’m sorry too. It’s a shame, because your wagon looks awesome.

Keep in mind, this is 1996. 300 hp was kind of extreme then. None of the listed inspiration cars has 300 hp…

6 Likes

I just found a Best Motoring episode of this theme!

Just type “Sports Wagon, Which is Best?” in youtube and you can find out what kind of car we’re talking about!

Not 300+ monsters…

1 Like

That specific video is literally in the inspiration section of the OP

Though if anyone wants to watch it, I’ll leave the link here

The Stagea and the 850 have 235 and 240hp respectively, while the Legacy and Legnum both have 260hp. 300hp is Stagea 260RS territory, which is too much for this challenge

2 Likes

also uhh

24 Hours Left!

I have received additional entries from:

The following entrants still have a chance to resubmit:

For those who haven't submitted, hurry up!

Countdown Timer

10 Likes

Hey there, I’m the FNG here so I’m trying to catch up. I think I’m limited in what I can send to folks via direct.

Is it a waste of time to submit a ride that lacks an interior? I’m going to hold off on spending hours on end to do an interior until we have a more stable Automation, IMO.

Here’s what I’ve been working on though

4 Likes

The interior is an advantage, if not an obligation.
In any case, the contest ends on March 13.
Hah cool, you did the front exactly like I wanted to do it, but then I dismissed that option.
Also, don’t forget to include on adv auto and increase the comfort points you don’t have enough of.

2 Likes

Welcome! You can send DMs to people once you reach the “Basic” trust level, which you can do by spending some time reading in the forums.

Cars with interiors will definitely have a higher chance of winning, but I will still evaluate and give you feedback on whatever you submit to me, though do remember that submissions will close in 14 hours.

4 Likes

10/4, because direct-messaging is not an option, here’s my file in my drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/151z2LzeoVvtsoIyQQms_0cR_fS83vA9D/view?usp=sharing

Introducing Floyd Motor Co’s 1996 SportFam 2.5 Premium J-Spec!
Built from the ground-up by their singular designer and engineer, FMC has come to claim the family sport title for the mid-90’s with the SportFam - in sedan or wagon bodystyle! Yes, a wagon! This sleek, yet roomy ride is available in multiple trims, but today I’ve got the keys to the special edition 2.5 Premium J-Spec trim. As the name hints at, this spec is for the Japanese market, but we hear it may come state-side soon. The J-Spec comes in wagon only, and only with an advanced automatic 5-speed transmission. Don’t fold the page just yet on the auto, because the J-Spec’s version has been carefully tuned to match the engine’s capabilities and in sport mode will snap off brisk shifts and keeps up with the engine perfectly. We look forward to FMC producing a manual version some day, and we’ll be sure to road test it against the results we got with the J-Spec today.
Back to that engine - as some readers are aware, engine size determines the taxation level in Japan, so smaller caliber engines are preferred in order to keep the government’s heavy hand off the citizen’s cash. Still, you can’t go anywhere with zero cc’s, so the J-Spec compromises with a 2500cc mill. Checking the box for “J-Spec” on the order sheet lands the relatively low-displacement Flat 6 in the engine bay. The J-Spec is the first to get this engine, but we hope it ends up in many more FMC cars to come! Made of all-aluminum construction, the powerplant is silky-smooth, high-revving, and powerful with 248HP at 7900RPM, and 187ft-lbs TQ at 5700 RPM. To reach these lofty RPM’s, the engine boasts partially forged internals – those horses won’t exit the corral (editor note: he means blow the engine…) when the pedal hits the floor, even when driven much harder than a wagon ought to be. We found the engine to have an exotic sound, but we had to double-check our dB meter when it showed only a score of 33.9 - which is territory of some of the most tame passenger cars made. We expected 248HP to make a bit more noise in the stable. FMC told us that a careful selection of intake, tubular engine manifold, and well-sized 3-way cat and muffler combination makes it possible.
Top speed of the J-Spec is an aerodynamically-limited 161 MPH, no governor on this version. Acceleration is just over 7.1 seconds to 60MPH from a standstill. We suspect a 6-speed manual transmission would cut that significantly, but the performance as-tested will certainly be sufficient for most. The J-Spec gets an absolutely amazing 23.6 MPG when not flogging it, but it does require the premium stuff due to the high compression and advanced ignition. Feed it right and you’ll be rewarded!
Like almost every sporty FMC vehicle, the suspension is firm and capable. The J-Spec turns up the comfort significantly with adaptive suspension, tuned to work in concert with the medium compound tires to soak up the bumps. Despite this softer configuration, the car rounded our skidpad at an astonishing 1.01g Like most FMC sport models, handling is never in question. We hope they keep it that way. FMC told us that special attention to weight savings brings the J-Spec in at 3120lbs by using a partial-aluminum panel construction, and the steel monocoque chassis is galvanized against rust. Japan is surrounded by salty ocean, so corrosion resistance will prove useful over the car’s life. FMC assured us state-side models will get the same treatment.
Despite not being a track car, we put the J-spec on our Automation circuit and got a 2:27.22 with AI Stig behind the wheel. He said the brakes held up even from the 160mph straightaway run, but did comment that sportier pads would be on order if he were to order one. He puts track pads on his shoes, so don’t pay any attention to him.
The interior is a carryover from other classy FMC rides, with the J-Spec receiving the standard Premium treatment, including an absolutely fantastic CD player. We enjoyed the well-tuned engine over the audio unit, but we did have to roll the windows down (and open up the standard sunroof) to enjoy the engine’s sonorous note all the way up to its absurd 8400RPM redline. We’d love to see this engine in future FMC rides, perhaps in a drop top and with a more aggressive intake and exhaust. We’ll see what their 1-man design and engineer team can come up with next!
Overall we were highly impressed with the SportFam J-Spec. It fit all our camera crew and gear with ease, and was easy on the wallet at the pump. The gorgeous smokey blue-gray metallic pearl (they call it “Rivuline”) paired nicely with the standard 17" aluminum alloy wheels. The wife came down to the garage and stared at it a while as we said goodbye to our tester, and asked when can we drive one in red with a manual. FMC, when? The J-Spec runs 37,400 as-tested. In typical FMC fashion, we say “Come take my money!”

6 Likes

1996 Halvson Harrier sPORT 2.0 Wagon

Australian boldness, Japanese tech.

The new for 1996 Halvson Harrier sPORT wagon combines the Australian sensibilities of a rear-wheel-drive family car with impressive performance, with the Japanese sensibilities of an advanced experience in smart packaging.

Moderately sized for Japanese roads, the 2L inline 5 engine fits in a lower tax category than most of its peers, while still making a more than respectable 162kW thanks to our innovative sPORT VVT technology. Paired with an advanced 5 speed automatic transmission and high quality premium interior as standard, the sPORT proves that sophistication and speed are not exclusive.

Externally, the sPORT is understated, but obvious to those who know, with black sports trims, sPORT badging, a sunroof, and performance 7 spoke wheels as standard. Paired with the all-new Harrier’s styling, it will surely prove to be a timeless design.

Reserve yours today for only $35,400 AMU.

More photos

X marks the spot.

7 Likes

Last minute question - are advanced trim settings allowed?

1 Like

Yes, as long as you don’t try to make your wheels look bigger/smaller than it really is or anything like that