TMCC26 - California Dreaming [Results!]

Where did you find the Pontiac wheels?

1 Like

I believe those are from Aruna’s Legacy Wheel Pack 1.

2 Likes

AFFORDABLE MID ENGINED EXCITEMENT.

THE 1987 SIRIN. FROM VAUGHN.

4 Likes

Yes they are in there

1987 KMA KX12 GT Spider

It’s the raddest, maddest, baddest roadster on the planet.

And with a 420-bhp 4.0L V12 between the rear wheels, it’s also one of the fastest.

How fast? 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 185 mph.

What are you waiting for? Turn the key and hit the gas to find out!

4 Likes

I have an entire build on that body and I scrapped it because the darn service costs are insane compared to others. MR platforms with staggered tires take a real hit.

2 Likes

MR cars need staggered tires (sometimes with a lot of stagger) to avoid excess oversteer, and that’s a key factor in their high servicing costs. However, that in itself is not always sufficient to prevent terminal oversteer; with the weight distribution calculations the way they are right now, moving the engine as far forward as possible, as well as tuning the suspension and/or aerodynamics for an understeer bias, may be necessary.

I chose an MR build because even with its inherently high servicing costs, I felt confident enough that it would yield great sportiness and drivability figures if done right. Also, I had enough headroom left in the budget to fit adaptive dampers and a luxury interior with a CD player - very high-tech for 1987. My approach to this round was “go big, or go home”.

As for your unused MR build, assuming you have finished it, but not deleted it, why not show it to us as a reminder of what could have been?

I can do this but it won’t look as pretty as yours because I only did the engineering, once I realized that my Service Cost number was double what I wanted. Maybe I’ll save it for a different competition that is less prioritized on that.

About a week till entries close! I have already recieved a few submissions from:

@abg7
@Ch_Flash
@Happyhungryhippo
@the-chowi

3 Likes

Swanson 937 OP

By popular request, a convertible version of Swanson’s halo car was first released in 1983. A good year indeed…
3 years later it’s 10 years old and still kicking, with slightly updated looks, in part to accomodate the droptop. A replacement is reportedly in the works, but won’t enter showrooms this decade.

Under the rear clamshell the 3.7 liter B6 runs at 320 hp. Racing experience has shown aluminium blocks are finally reliable enough.
While certainly not Over Powered, it gives adequate performance even with the added weight. 0-100 km/h in 4 seconds flat, quarter mile in the low 12s - top speed is limited to just a decent 270 km/h, but should be enough to blow some TV guy’s toupé off.

Push button receive car

3 Likes

A gamble in the market:

FMC Sidewinder Turbo - Touring trim

The Sidewinder model continues for '87, on an all-new platform - still proudly RWD. Shown here is the Convertible Touring trim, equipped with a turbocharged 2.5L DOHC I6 making 235hp and plenty of low end torque. This puts it on par with some of the quickest cars of the year. This is paired with a 5 speed manual, though a 4-speed auto is also available.

The Convertible model (as shown) drops the 2+2 seating arrangement for a 2-seater one. The hidden convertible top takes the place of where the rear seats would be.

The Touring trim adds lush top-grade leather on all surfaces. In addition a softer suspension tune, longer gearing, and high grade touring tires comes with the package.

3 Likes

The Sidewinder is a very futuristic design for 1987. By the look of things, it’s built on one of the Vendetta body sets - I’m assuming you chose either of the two smaller ones (with either a 2.33m or 2.48m wheelbase). A facelifted version for the 1990s would probably eschew the pop-ups (for aerodynamics’ sake) for a set of reshaped lower light lenses that could accommodate a full set of light clusters (high and low beams, plus indicators), in keeping with contemporary styling trends. In short, it’s more of an affordable sports car than my entry, which is virtually a range-topping supercar, but it has its appeal nonetheless.

I stole cues from my beloved mkiii Supra which was quite a nice car from the late 80’s. It is more swoopy than most '87’s, perhaps a bit concept-y, as I was also trying to bring in the '81 Dodge M4S which was way ahead of its time.

I think this thing ended up being very low cost compared to my other mules because I kept the tire sizes, engine power, etc. all to late 80’s spec.

It will be interesting to see how it fares as I expect it to be one of them more docile cars to pick from. Something like a convertible 944 but with Supra running gear (or close.)

1987 Courageux Visage 2.9T targa

The very last final iteration of the Visage for 1987.

From 1985 the full size of the 2.9 V6 engine was used, and in this “X-GT” edition it really turned everything up to 11, the pistons are forged and the balancer is lightened for a faster revving engine. Multi point efi is fitted for a more reliable car and also more power.

the X-GT pack includes fully body coloured aero kit, larger 15" alloy wheels with wider tyres. Larger front brakes with improved brake cooling.

8 Likes
Storne Aesalon

More Images

Specs

5800cc V8
Power: 414 horsepower @ 6100 rpm
Torque: 422 lb-ft @ 45000 rpm
Weight: 3069 lb
Transmisson: RWD 5 Speed Manual

5 Likes

the english are coming!

Open Top Motoring for a New Age.

First introduced in 1986, the Garuda is Hinode’s flagship two-door coupe, fitted with the best and latest that the company has to offer. Though primarily designed for the Japanese market, Hinode decided to export the Garuda to the United States to gauge customer response on a Hinode-branded luxury grand tourer.

In an effort to further appeal to American consumers (and also experiment some more), Hinode hired BGST Design to create a convertible version of the Garuda. The resulting car, which had a powered soft-top, was launched in the US market in 1987, alongside the standard coupe version. While Japanese versions had engines ranging in size from two litres to a three litres, the American cars were only offered with a naturally aspirated three-litre engine producing 200hp. However, a handful of turbocharged models making 240hp also made it stateside for a lucky few to enjoy. A five-speed manual is standard while a 4-speed automatic is available as an option.

Being a showcase of Hinode’s latest technology, the Garuda is available with the Hinographic Touch Control Interface, an early touchscreen system that controls everything from the radio to air conditioning. In keeping with the high-tech theme, the Garuda also comes with a digital gauge cluster although analog gauges are also available. The driver is encased by the fighter jet-like dashboard, with all controls within easy reach. Cloth seats are standard and leather seats are available as a no-cost option.

Arguably one of the cars to take on a cruise in the sun-kissed roads of California, whether you are “long-term roomates” or a movie production.

© 1987 Hinode of America, Inc.

:recycle:

11 Likes

Ok Here’s My Submission. Not as fancy as some of you guys.

TMCC26_randomBullets_-_Luma_Sky_6.car (35.9 KB)

1987 Hirochi R80 Targa

288 KMH top speed (Automation Predictions)
4.5s 0-100 (Automation Predictions)

2 Likes

scores :