ARBC4 - Emergency Sharing (closed)

is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

ARBC4 - Emergency Sharing

The Brief

It’s 1989, the Button car plan is in full effect, and Planar has just lost a high profile court case. As it turns out, badge engineering cars between your subsidiary and yourself and then counting that as you sharing a model as well isn’t particularly in the spirit of the law.

As a result, Planar is being legally compelled to not just share a car with another company, but (much to their embarrassment) their flagship car, the SM4X Danazine.

Now, small saving graces, it’s rather aged at this point, there’s a new SM48 update coming for 1990 which will make a heavier restyle easier, and there’s nothing in the court ruling stipulating that they can’t choose who they share it with, as long as they don’t own them.

And that’s where you’ll come in, your company has the rare opportunity to get a free luxury car, with only a proposal for your idea required!

The challenge:

Produce your own car based on the SM48 Danazine, working within the colours shown on the car:

Explainer of the colours

Red: free area, do what you want (within reason)
Orange: slightly more nuanced, but basically “Either replace with a like replacement or leave as-is”.

For a more in-depth explainer, the wing mirrors are in a pretty unorthodox location, so you can either leave the fixtures where they are, or alternatively make something in a more sane position on the door.

The instrument cluster and steering wheel (and I’m including the “gauges” in that, I just left them as-is so it’s obvious what they are), meanwhile, can be replaced with something more fitting for your brand, keeping in mind that the centre console is part of that cluster fixture so it could take some work. Minor moving of fittings is allowed if you’re changing the cluster, otherwise leave them where they are.

The flying buttresses can either be kept, removed, or replaced with a different style. Keeping in mind that they’re huge so if you leave them as they are you should probably keep the centre part glass.

The Car:
ARBC4_-[your_username_here]-_[MAKE_SURE_TO_CLONE_FIRST].car|attachment (133.3 KB)

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU CLONE THE CAR AND ENGINE WITH THIS BUTTON FIRST, YOU WILL BE BINNED IF YOU DON’T.
(also please don’t edit my paints thanks)

The Rules:
  • SERIOUSLY, CLONE FIRST!
  • Repainting everything is free (but again, if you’re planning on just editing the colours on there, please use your own instead.)
  • Looks and engineering will be judged, however to make it fair on anyone that might just want to do looks it’s all going to be more subjective.
  • What that means is, while I’m still going to have a spreadsheet and tally stuff up, having the best overall luxury car won’t necessarily win you the challenge.
  • All model and body options, as well as the hydropneumatic suspension, should be considered locked
  • Price can be no more than the $70,000 of the base car
  • All techpool should remain where it is
TP reference

• Model year should remain 1978, and trim year should remain 1990
  • Family year is free up to 1990, but don’t change it if you’re using the stock engine, variant year 1990
  • FrontSlant, FrontMain, and FrontBumper morphs can all be changed, all other morphs are locked.
  • Remember that you’re making a luxury car, don’t go wild with sports interiors or race parts.
  • This challenge is being run in the Ellisbury open beta, make sure you’re opted in first!

Examples

I’ve made enough variants of the SM4X that there’s a few examples ready to go lmao.

Inspirations

Toyota Lexcen

Holden Statesman (VQ II)

Ford Fairlane (NC)

Nissan Ute

Submissions:
  • Send me your .car through forum DM, as well as post an ad in the thread.
  • Naming format: ARBC4 - [your forum username] / [Trim and Variant names are free]
  • Submissions will run from 2023-09-26T14:00:00Z2023-10-25T12:59:00Z
  • Make sure you’re on the latest Open Beta build, resubs will be allowed if there’s an update after you’ve submitted.
  • Resubs will otherwise be allowed on a case-by-case basis (I’ll let you know if there’s an issue and you need to resub, but you only get one chance).

Changelog
  • Added game version info (open beta) and resub rules.
  • Deadline extended by a week.
5 Likes

In other words, all model/trim options must be left as-is (i.e. identical to the base car).

No, everything that isn’t in the model/body menus and the hydropneumatic suspension is free to change.

Thanks for clarifying - only the model options, body style, and suspension springs must remain unchanged, then.

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the subsidiary with which Planar tried to cheese the rebadge requirement and how did their Danazine differ from the original?

It’s not particularly relevant to the challenge outside of ~lore fluff~, but it was my other brand Halvson and the Newton/Genoace, not the Danazine.

Also, the wood texture in places like the gear shifter didn’t properly carry over to my Automation copy and has been replaced by the default red paint - just letting you know in case you thought I changed those bits intentionally.

is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

!!!Challenge open!!!

A couple of days late, (as you may have seen in the ad challenge, I’ve been quite sick this week) but as of two days ago submissions are open!

Now, some quick housekeeping, I know it’s more stable than 4.2’s open beta, but the current OB is still somewhat buggy, so are people okay with a three week submission window as it is now, or would you want an extra week or two to let the kinks get ironed out?

Worth noting that even if the three week window stays, it may still take a bit longer than that to get everything done, as currently it’s almost guaranteed that loading a car with an interior crashes my game (and that includes the base car for this, that’s part of the reason the engineering’s so poorly adapted to Ellisbury lol).

Should I add more time to the submission window?
  • No
  • Yes, 1 extra week
  • Yes, 2 extra weeks

0 voters

Just to confirm, aside from body and model options, as well as techpool and the hydropneumatic suspension, everything engineering-wise is free to change, right?

Yup, go wild (within reason, this is a luxury sedan remember).

1 Like

The devil wears chrome… lots of it

Fischer Flavorous Premium

Borrowing its exquisite figure from Planar and its fierce, turbocharged straight-6 powerhouse from Kotatsu, the luxurious sedan aims for a healthy combination of both a refined, comfortable ride and a driving experience that keeps you on the edge. Mixing high-quality leather interior, hydropneumatic suspensions, and a state-of-the-art automatic transmission with all-wheel drive and limited slip, the Flavorous Premium offers an experience to be remembered.

Fischer Automobile

10 Likes

can we connect the flying butresses with a piece of glass? to make it look like more of a liftback
also, what about wings/spoilers?
aaaand the door trim, is it meant to stay or can it be changed substantially?

In order, no because ~lore reasons~, yes, within the editable area (and I’m realising now that it should actually go right up to the edge of the boot but the patch is clipping in a bit right at the top, so keep that in mind), and I actually intended for it to be orange but forgor :skull: and seeing as I’ve already had a submission it’d be unfair to change that now.

2 Likes

The results are in:

With 55% of the vote, people pretty obviously want an extra week, so the new deadline is 2023-10-25T12:59:00Z. See you then!

3 Likes

1990 Montagne Pyrénées S

The new 1990 Montagne Pyrénées S takes the Planar’s bones but adds some of that characteristic Montagne quirkiness, like an entirely new front end with an assymmetrical grille or a single-spoke angled steering wheel. While mechanical changes are minimal, all of them are geared towards giving this large luxury saloon a somewhat sportier demeanor. Bigger rims, stiffer front suspension, revised transmission gearing and a louder exhaust work towards this goal, while keeping most of the Planar’s impressive comfort.

Gallery

7 Likes

(Slightly less than) 5 days left!

My bad there, been fairly out of it and thought there was an extra week left. Deadline’s still 2023-10-25T12:59:00Z, so hopefully some more of those 11 people that voted for this long deadline will make cars before then :^)

Submissions (mostly) closed!

Well, there we go, two whole entries

Disappointing but w/e, I’ll judge the cars properly regardless.

HOWEVER.

I’m still not able to load cars with interiors on OB, and I’m gonna be too busy for the next few days to get my old desktop with a non-Intel GPU set up and get the OB installed, so you get a last minute extension of three days. This is it though, if you don’t get a car in by 2023-10-28T12:59:00Z tough luck.

2 Likes

1990 Francisco Anaconda 48/32ic

The Anaconda is the all new entry-level luxury sedan from the near-bankrupt French-American marque Francisco. It is powered by a smaller, more efficiently-tuned 3.2-litre version of the Francisco 48v V12. It is a true sports saloon of great proportions, combining unmatched Planar comfort with the incomparable experience of a V12 engine.

Gallery

4 Likes

Submissions closed for real now!

Uh oh, the competition’s heating up, a podium’s no longer guaranteed as long as @mart1n2005 posts an ad soon :^)

Expect reviews probably on Tuesday, crunchy Pentium fuelled photomode pics and all!

4 Likes

1990 Matsuma Figus

Using the Planar Danazine as a base we have given the car a more aerodynamic front end with secondary driving lamps and indicators under the more pronounced bumpers.

At the rear full width contoured tail lights have been fitted with the indicators surrounded by chrome trim.

Interior changed have been kept to a minimum with grey leather seats, grey carpet and black ash wood on all the surfaces.

5 Likes