Challenge Idea - Journey of Ownership

First of all, I’m kinda sorry for this post, as this would have been an actual challenge post rather than an idea post, because for various reasons, which include: a) there’s a lot of issues about challenges in this place recently, b) I’m not in a mood for a challenge and, c) I have been way too busy these days due to work and stuff.

As we all know, people buy, own and sell cars every day (since the automobile was a thing) and each of them has a story to tell whether the experience on owning a car looks like.

With this idea, this is a mix of a personal story + CSR, which means that each round will have a different set of vehicle buying rules, with one twist: its all about a certain person, wants to buy a car within his/her life.

So the idea looks like this:

1. Each round was split into several segments, which is hosted by the winner of the last challenge, describes a car ownership story of a certain person within different stages of life.

2. The first round starts with a character, which is likely at the age when the person got his/her license and wants to get his/her first vehicle. As the segments passed by, new prompts can be made for the person as he/she is getting new vehicles for different eras of his/her life.

3. At the end of the segment, a winner will be declared and will be given a chance to continue or move to another round. This is up to the winner to decide, if they can’t take over the next round the runner up will take it instead, and so on. (like usual CSR or any running challenge rules)

4. The round ends whenever the character has hit the current year (since we can’t really predict the future + Automation year limitations), or the person has gone to the point where he decided to stop buying vehicles due to various reasons.

Well, if you have anything to expand, or need to comment, please kindly reply to this post.

If you want to or actually make a challenge like this, please make sure to mention me when you made it.

4 Likes

This is actually a great idea - looking back on someone’s car ownership history reveals a lot about their journey through life.

2 Likes

Excellent idea!

2 Likes

That could definitely be interesting…

This is a great idea! CSR But with more history behind it and more creative flow to it. Might actually do it as my first ever challenge to be honest, but i’d need to learn how to set up the whole thing and all that

A person’s journey of ownership could be split into two or more stages. Would it be possible for them to run in parallel to save time, rather than sequentially in chronological order? If so, and there is more than one winner for the round, there should be a tiebreaker to decide an overall winner for the round. However, as tempting as this idea is, I still prefer a sequential order for each stage in a round - it’s less confusing if you had to follow all the stages in a round one at a time, instead of all at once.

1 Like

Fact is, I have been thinking out a (hopefully) useful basic ruleset during this day. If not anybody will mind, I can host a pilot round in some days?

5 Likes

Yeah, sure, since this is just an idea thread lol.

Aaaaaand…the thread is now up in the challenge section. :relaxed:

3 Likes

OK, the rules has originally been in the JOC1 thread, however, since I wanted a small update of them, I will put them here so they get noticed.

The original ones mostly remain, though I have made some additions to them, please read!

1. Each character must be played for at least 3 rounds. That’s because I feel like it won’t be any “journey” with less than 3. One round would only be a CSR ripoff, two rounds not enough to build a story. Three rounds feels like the absolute minimum needed to build up a story about someone’s car life. Of course, more rounds are both allowed and encouraged. It is ALWAYS up to the new host to decide if he/she wants to continue with the old character or start over with a new one, as long as three rounds of the same JOC has passed! Don’t for example kill off the character without permission from the next host!

2. About threads and naming. My thought is that all the parts of JOC1 can be held in one thread, then when moving to a new character we post a new thread for JOC2 etc. About naming, my idea for a standard is that we name the first entries for JOC1 “JOC1A-yourname”, then for the next round “JOC1B-yourname”, “JOC1C-yourname” etc. and then when we change character it becomes “JOC2A”, and so on.

3. Of course we don’t need to start with a teenager with a fresh license. Some people might have taken their drivers license later in life, some might have bought their first car many years after their license etc. - be creative there, just keep in mind that there should be room for at least three vehicle purchases in that person’s life.

4. Turnaround times. I don’t think that they should be so heavily regulated, but I feel that many people buy new cars after between 3 and 10 years. Sure, there is cars that are traded after six months, as well as ones that are being kept for 30 years, so all I can say is - if you are moving too far out of what could be considered “normal”, just have a believable reason for this, not “duhhh aliens confiscated his new ride after 2 months so now he needs a new one again”.

5. Not a rule, but keep in mind that people change over time. If you don’t like the character’s current needs and personality, see it as a challenge to change him/her in a realistic way in the next round. Also, maybe the vehicle chosen may affect the brief next time? (For example: “I thought a sports car could be fun but the lack of practicality was so much of a hassle so the driving experience could not make up for that” - hence maybe a sedan in the next round?). Just keep in mind to pay respect to the makers of the earlier cars. Don’t bash too hard on the character’s previous car without talking to the previous winner about it. Sure, saying that “this 2 seater has to go because we need to fit a child seat” is one thing, but “I hate everything about this car, it sucks” isn’t a worthy way to treat the last round’s winner, at least not without it’s author’s permission.

AND NOW, SOME ADDITIONS…

1. JOC rounds has a potential to evolve to stories around a character’s life. I do a lot of play-by-post role playing myself, and the golden rule there is to never, ever take over another player’s character. That’s of course not the case with JOC since the main idea IS to take over another player’s character. However, to show some respect to the people that created the character, and that helped the character evolve, I would strongly suggest every host of JOC to talk to, at least the original host of the round, but preferrably to every previous host of it, about the ideas. I can understand that giving them the advantage of knowing what type of car the character wants is not very tempting, but for the part regarding the character’s life, I strongly suggest it. Now, keep in mind that you don’t have unlimited freedom as a previous host either. I don’t want to see fighting about “my character would never put ketchup on his burger, change your story”, but on the other hand, if a previous host created supporting characters, and don’t like your idea of killing them off, please respect it. It’s a bit of give and take here.

2. The idea of running two JOCs at once came up, for example, after JOC (X) C, someone starts up JOC (X+1) A, while someone else keeps on with JOC (X) D. I would like to say no there, at least for now. On the other hand, nothing is stopping you from doing a spinoff standalone challenge, featuring your old JOC character. But having multiple JOC rounds running at once feels like something that will easily become a mess, easily becomes something that will result in fighting, salt and drama. I will say no, at least for now.

So, now (31st of July 2023), I have ironed out some bugs I have found after little over a year with JOC, and I hope that the changes will help making the challenge fun for everyone even in the years to come.

3 Likes

On the other hand, what about a maximum length for a particular JOC? I’d suggest five rounds at most - any more would be too long.

No, I trust that people can use common sense there. If a character has nothing more to give, I trust that the host will understand that and start over again.

1 Like