Journey of ownership 1 - Discount Elvis - Part 1D (finals)

So far I have made two test entries in anticipation of a possible entry into this round. One of them is rather like a Sierra Cosworth, but lighter (strut front/semi-trailing arm rear, 2.0L turbo I4); the other is reminiscent of a contemporary pony car (3rd-gen GM F-body or Ford Fox-body Mustang), right down to its live-axle rear and normally aspirated pushrod V8. Ultimately, though, I’ll have to go with the one that I feel suits me best in the event I actually choose to enter.

were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes were not mercedes

1986 Riemann 250S RTA

Whilst the 250S was known for being a sort of Up-Market luxury coupe, many didn't expect Riemann to launch an RTA version of if shortly after revealing said car.

The 250S RTA is equipped with a 3.8 Litre V8 producing around 230 powerful horses; but don’t worry! it isn’t just fast in a straight line, thanks to a soft but sporty suspension, the 250S handles great in a circuit!

Fitted with a RTA-only bodykit to differentiate yourself from other 250S’ (aswell as some bragging rights over others).

Its interior is as comfortable as how it is in other 250S models, whilst still looking stylish and modern. Fitted with a Paonner™ sound system for all your ear candy needs.

16 Likes

1984 Wolfram Wolfhound 3.5 GT

No, it’s not the fiery Twin Cam, but the GT’s 180-bhp single-cam engine is fast enough for a 1.25-ton sports coupe - it’s good for 0-60 in 7 seconds and a top speed of 140 mph. A close-ratio 5-speed manual gearbox and geared LSD help get this grunt to the ground with ease.

With 4-wheel independent suspension (strut front/semi-trailing arm rear), 4-wheel vented disc brakes, 15-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance tires, and a carefully sculpted aero kit, the Wolfhound GT is as adept at carving corners as you would expect it to be.

Inside, you’ll find a premium sound system with 4 speakers and a cassette tape player. The GT package also includes genuine leather trim (in a variety of colors, with optional two-tone finishes) and power-operated windows and heated seats, all for $22k AMU (in 1984).

2 Likes

1981 SUMA Selecta

BE SELECTIVE.

Available now! The new-for-1981 and still-in-production SUMA Selecta is the perfect modern, capable, and compact sedan for all family purposes. With 90hp under the belt, RWD, 3-speed automatic, and a full suite of passenger options pre-installed, it’s a weekend warrior both fun and practical. Not to mention the solid rear axle and locking differential; it might be unconventional, but when you’re thinking of that country camping trip, you’ll be thankful it’s there!

Don’t think it makes any compromises, though. Since 1981 the Selecta comes equipped with hydraulic steering and all-new brakes and safety equipment, making sure YOU and your entire family can drive easily and with peace of mind behind the wheel! Top it off with excellent mileage and an EXTREMELY great value at only AMU$12,000, the Selecta can’t be beat in bang for your buck!

Call in the next 20 MINUTES for ZERO DOWN!!!

4 Likes

Less than 48 hours left

1986 Legion Mora RS15

Lore

In the 1970s, Legion UK’s lineup saw a shift from domestic, British-designed models to Japanese, Homura-sourced cars. Legion was at this time working on moving it’s lineup towards FWD, but due to the state of both the British and global economy, parent company Turból deemed it more financially prudent to halt Legion UK’s FWD platform development and to badge engineer FWD Homura products instead. The timing worked out. Homura’s range of French-inspired, boxer-powered FWD cars were hardly exciting, but were practical and economic choices that kept Turból’s European operations viable in a difficult time.

Entering the growing B-segment in 1974 was the cutely-named Legion Squid. Featuring FWD, flat 4 engines, and fully independent suspension with McPherson struts up front and trailing arms in the rear, Legion UK was given the greenlight to produce a stylish, sporty liftback coupe variant. The Mora was introduced in 1979, with similar mechanicals, but with a wider and lower stance under a crisp modern design.

The cheap and cheerful Mora continue sales through the 1980s, performance increasing all the while, especially in range-topping RS15 models with the 1.5 liter engine with forged internals, proving popular in lower classes of touring car racing and rallying. Some major updates in 1986, where both electronic port fuel injection and ABS became part of the RS15, high-tech features both called out in the RS15’s not-so-subtle badging.

Additional Photos

12 Likes

So very lazy apparently

I crammed a V8 in this for fun, watch me get binned for high svc and probably unrealistic styling.

Zephorus Divertimento

8 Likes

I see Foxbody Capri DNA, sweet!

smc

Just a roar of glory, to reveal the driver you are.

Reveal the fire of the rallye inside yourself, with the limited-edition '86 Alpharia Rallye. Specifically built for Group A homologation, this version of the Alpharia has unique features allowing it to swiftly dart across any road, but still keeps it’s hatchback versatility. The fuel-injected boxer engine has been radically redesigned, with forged components and a 16-valve race head, so you can rev into the sky - and to 100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds. A limited slip differential and significantly larger 15-inch alloy wheels allow the Rallye to overcome any surface it faces, tarmac or dirt track. Despite the strict weight management of the model, it features Munot’s new Traction Restraint System, and an improved fuel cutoff system for peace of mind, and the interior is no less comfortable than the standard Alpharia, anti-theft cassette stereo and all.

Be warned though - only 5,000 of these will be produced, and Alpharia production is ending soon. Don’t miss out on this piece of future history!

MSRP: $22,000.

Automobile Munot AG - Uniquely Swiss.™

5 Likes

The Onaria GT230i Tourer has everything a man would ever want in a family car.

Comfort? Check.
Usability? Check.
Price? Check.

It also has everything a man would ever want in a sports car.

Style? Check.
Speed? Check.
Handling? Check.
Sweet Straight-6 Noise? Check.

Onaria. For The Fast Life.

Get a brand new GT230i Tourer at your local Onaria dealership for just 2200AMU*!

*dealer markups may apply

5 Likes
1986 Arlington Foxhound GS 5.0

This is the 1986 Arlington Foxhound. It’s an American muscle car - and to that end, it has a 5-liter V8, rear drive with a limited-slip differential and gas shocks, and variable-assist hydraulic power steering. It’s also equipped with something most pony and muscle cars lack: A diagonal-arm, fully-independent rear suspension.

Now, the Foxhound does have a couple of compromises for the mid-1980s. The engine is catalysed and central-point-injected - and being that it’s still a lazy pushrod, not substantially changed since the 70s and with an overall design from the 1950s, it only makes around 195 horsepower. And backed as it is with a four-speed, electric-lockup automatic, it takes an unimpressive 7.5 seconds to get to 60.

As compared to most earlier muscle cars and even its contemporaries, the Foxhound’s GS trim is well-equipped and comfortable in a way that makes it look more premium than budget. You get lidded cupholders, you get a driver’s airbag, you get a cassette player, and you get light-silver leather in the interior. The 4-speed overdrive transmission also provides efficient, low-rpm cruise even on the highway.

Between the practical seating, the glass-and-steel hatchback with gas strut, the comprehensive safety and entertainment package and all the other features, the Foxhound is not just a muscle car. It’s just a good car.

3 Likes
7 Likes

And entries are closed. Expect results soon

7 Likes

Instabins

@Texaslav Trim ET over the limit

The Reviews

It was a peaceful Sunday morning. Amanda had gone for a walk, and meanwhile, Keith was reading the newspaper. In the last pages, the used car section. He wasn´t prepared to get rid of his previous car. “I guess you are never prepared for something like this” he thought, and so he started looking for a substitute.

SUMA SELECTA @Banana_Soule

“I can´t find it´s country of origin, but it´s giving me strong soviet vibes. They were known for snapping in half in the event of a car crash aaaand… that´s enough for me”

(Good car, for another challenge. No reason to go so underbudget. Looks are pretty solid for a car of this era, though)

Riemann 250S RTA @ChemaTheMexican

“It´s still an excellent family car, but that engine… that engine on itself is enough reason to try the RTA. Probably not the best financial decision, but you only live once…”

Brampton 3500PP @conan

“They had a really good reputation when they were new. Pretty good all around, and the police forces gave a good use of them back in the days. And the boot… immense was not enough to describe it. Still, they never felt as a particularly cool car to me”

(This one was tough. Stats are really good, but your competitors are slightly better in key areas)

Axuus Sabre SE @DuceTheTruth100

“When released, the looks were considered controversial. But the weirdness doesn´t stop there, the chassis was made of corrosion resistant steel, which reminded people of the Delorean. To draw more parallelisms, both were equipped with under-powered V6s. A misunderstood car for many, but for me it was just a weird design”

(Abysmal sportiness and fuel economy are already bad enough, but some weird engineering choices were made too)

Régal 142 Sport @karhgath

“A more tame and sensible alternative to the Riemann. Despite of having half the horsepower, it still delivered a thrilling drive, which proves once again that brute force isn´t always the answer. The Regal feels like a really well rounded package, even if it´s missing a 5th gear”

Saarland Zandvoort ES @Knugcab

“20 years too soon for me”

(Keith is still young and looking for exciting stuff, which this car isn´t. Comfortable, safe and economical are nice attributes that our protagonist has yet to learn to value)

Wolfram Wolfhound 3.5 GT @abg7

“The most bang for your buck. The combination of good performance and reasonable price ended up attracting the wrong kind of people towards this car, which is why many of them are now fitted with bodykits of dubious taste. This isn´t the case, thankfully”

Auzenne 18 Procyon @BannedByAndroid

“French but in a good way. While FWD saloons aren´t my cup of tea, this one packed a really awesome piece of engineering. A 16 valve inline 4 which not only gave really strong performance,but also was reasonably economical and, oddly enough, incredibly reliable”

Legion Mora RS15 @donutsnail

“There´s a child inside of each of us. Mine wants this. But my adult self… also likes it. FWD doesn´t have to be boring after all”

FMC Alpine Base @Lanson

“While the brakes are impressive, I´ve heard incidents of them giving up in the most inconvenient situations. Also, I don´t know how to feel about the styling”

(You went for Advanced 80s safety but negative quality in the brakes. Also, styling doesn´t really match the body, especially at the rear. The worst comfort and reliability out there)

Aether Ascia 1.8 Turbo Injection @Yegoloda

“Is this the real fuel economy?? It doesn´t look like the turbo was really worth the extra performance”

(Probably my fav car in the bins, it looks realistic and pretty cool at the same time. But yeah, turbos are borked right now, and you also made the suspension racecar-stiff, which would have binned you anyway)

Valiant Laser S @mart1n2005

“I didn´t know they built Capris with a v8. Oh wait, this isn´t a Capri. And it rusts much faster. It´s a no from me”

(Terrible fuel economy, along with a really stiff ride, and the styling is probably too much Ford Capri alike)

Zephorus Divertimento @Riley

“If I was the villain in a movie, I would drive one of these. But in real life… Awful fuel economy, a cramped engine bay and in the end, it looks like a bodykit”

(Looks are incredible and stats are pretty good, but a combination of awful fuel eco, service costs and ungalvanized chassis could be a financial ruin. It also bottoms out if pushed hard)

Munot Alpharia 224 Rallye @Quneitra

“I wouldn´t have guessed it´s a Swiss car, but anyway this is a pretty awesome little hatchback. The 16 valve head really transformed the Alpharia into something else, even if it tended to blow head gaskets from time to time”

Onaria GT230i (5MT Tourer) @Restomod

“Onaria tried to show their technological prowess with the engine. Aluminum OHC head, variable intake lenght and electronic fuel injection. But I guess they focused too much on the engine and not enough in the car. It understeered like a truck and the ride was harsh. A shame, since they really tried with this one”

(Bottom tier reliability, economy and service costs. Another case of negative quality on brakes too)

Finalists

The lucky ones

BannedByAndroid
karhgath
ChemaTheMexican
abg7
donutsnail
Quneitra

9 Likes

Exactly what on Earth do you mean? Is the way turbos are handled in 4.27 somewhat… off? That might explain why I didn’t bother going with the turbo engine I originally planned for my entry - I went for a big naturally aspirated I6 instead, and it paid off handsomely:

That mostly explains why the Wolfhound ended up moving to the finals for this stage of JOC1.

1 Like

I think turbos are acting as intended right now, they used to be far too efficient. I believe with the new fuel mapping feature there will be parity between turbo and na engines

2 Likes

They used to be too efficient, and now they are a little too inefficient. And nowadays NA VVT engines are arguable too efficient. The NA/fuel revamp, as you said, will bring balance.

Yup, that’s precisely why I went for a 9k redline NA rally engine - turbos seem a bit borked, so I don’t really want to touch one until the revamp is complete.

Also, 9k rpm insanity is fun :grin:

Hey just a heads up, that’s not how quality sliders work. They represent advancement (or lack of) in terms of years. So, if I slide the quality down two notches to meet a budget, what I am doing is not putting on bad or unreliable brakes, but instead putting on brakes that are 2 years behind in terms of innovation.

Correction, each tick of the slider is worth two years of advance or lack of, not one.

1 Like

By the way, the simplest form of VVT on 4-valve DOHC engines (which only applies to the intakes) unlocks in 1988 in the sandbox - two years after the eligibility period for entries in this part of JOC1 (which spans from 1980 to 1986 inclusive). I was still able to get a decent amount of efficiency from the engine I used for my entry, though.