QFC28 - Barbie [FINALS DONE]

QFC28

Intro

Meet Lily, a whimsical and vibrant individual who finds enchantment everywhere. Having just seen Barbie at the movie theatre Lily was captivated by the charm and elegance of Barbie, whose boundless spirit and undeniable charisma touched her soul. Lily couldn’t help but admire Barbie’s sense of adventure and her zest for life, mirroring her own desires for a world filled with wonder.

Now, fueled by a newfound passion, Lily has set her heart on a unique dream: to find a car that Barbie herself would drive in the current day.

Lily made a list of things that she thought would embrace Barbies way of living.

Expression of Personality: Lily would see the car as an extension of her personality, a way to showcase her vibrant and fun-loving spirit to the world. Customizing it with unique accessories or even a touch of Barbie’s signature pink hue would make it uniquely hers.

Embracing Glamour: Lily would adore the glamorous aspect of driving a stylish convertible. The sleek lines, polished exterior, and the attention it attracts would add a touch of sophistication to her life, reminiscent of Barbie’s iconic elegance.

Inspiration from Barbie: Driving a car akin to Barbie’s ride would remind Lily of the film’s enchanting message and Barbie’s relentless pursuit of dreams. It would serve as a daily inspiration to live life with enthusiasm and embrace the magic in every moment.

Summary:
A light convertible with a certain sense of style that could appreciated by many.

Priorities

starstarstar

Aesthetic

Driveability

Comfort

Sport

Realism

starstar

Reliability

Cost

Service Costs

Fuel Economy

Safety

star

Practicality

Prestige

RULES

1999 Trim year

Wheelbase no bigger than 2.5m - Hard limit

Must be a convertible body - No preferences on type, must have convertible tag in Automation.

$15,000 Max Price

No race parts - This includes Turbo and N/A Race headers, DCOEs and Semislicks.

95 Octane

3 way Cats required

Techpool default +5 all round for engine AND trim

You will get one resubmission before the deadline

Naming Scheme and Deadlines
Model name: QFC28 – [your forum name]
Engine family name: QFC28 – [your forum name]

Rules deliberation will be until Sunday 30th July 13:00 GMT
Entries will close Monday 7th August 23:59 GMT

Other notes about rules

An Interior is recommended (Seat, Dashboard and Steering wheel counts)

Happy to add more inspirations if they fit the criteria

Inspirations

Mazda MX5 NB

Lotus Elise Mk1

Toyota MR2

Pontiac Solstice

Audi TT

Smart Roadster

Honda Beat

VW Beetle do not put eyelashes on it

Plymouth Prowler

MG F

Previous QFC

First QFC

Get in the mood here:

Changelog:
Max price now $15,000 instead of $13,000
Clarified wheelbase limits
Clarified what is classed as a convertible

Written with the help of ChatGPT, any resemblence to the dreams of real people is entirely unintended. Also, literally me.

22 Likes

Is there any specific colour code to follow or can we use any pink?

Using pink isn’t in the rules anywhere, but think about the kind of person Lily is trying to be.

Is there any reason why 1999 is fixed as a trim year for a round set in 2023? Not that I have a problem with it, but it is a bit rare to do used car shopping and only accept one single model year, especially on cars that are over 20 years old. :stuck_out_tongue:

Same reason why there’s fixed techpool, so I don’t have a headache with unbalanced cars, it is weird yes I agree. Originally the round was going to be set much earlier, and so difference in years would’ve made a lot of change between cars, now not so much but I’m keeping the rule so it’s simple.

The budget is quite strict, so think of it as Lily doesn’t have too much money and chose older cars to look at.

1 Like

Would she want to be able to Tokyo Drift in her Barbie car?
I suppose “nuclear” power would be taking it too far, and off budget.
Suggestions for inspirations, may or may not fit the vision;
Ford StreetKa (2003, but technically older)
Ford Thunderbird mk11 (2001)
MG F (1995-2005)
VW New Beetle & TT

As far as the sport priority goes, it should be “balanced” with drivability and comfort, not so much a lower priority or one to boost over any other.

Both the Beetle and the TT are in there already for the versions that I wanted. The thunderbird is too big (2.7m), I did look at it already, if you could pull off the styling I’d be inclined to say that would be fine. MG F would be a good addition.

Another reason why the trim year must be set to 1999 - In 2023, there are literally no affordable convertibles left other than the ND MX-5 (correct me if I’m wrong, though), if you only include sports cars.

In fact, if it weren’t for said MX-5, Mini Cabriolet, and the seventh-gen Mustang convertible (if and when it arrives), you would need at least ~$50,000 to buy a convertible passenger car in real life - and the MX5 lacks a back seat, whereas the other two are effectively 2+2s.

One more thing: The $13k price cap is extremely tight, and makes mid-engined builds virtually impossible. In fact, I’d argue that the maximum budget should be $22k, if only to accommodate W30 MR2 and S1 Elise replicas (the latter had a fiberglass body on top of a glued aluminum chassis), especially since mid-engined cars are too oversteery without having the weight distribution shifted as far forward as possible (which adds to the price even more).

Does it have to be a full on convertible where the entire roof goes down, or is something like the Citroen C3 Pluriel or the newer Citroen DS3 Cabriolet acceptable?

3 Likes

I’m expecting it to be a full convertible - one that is built on an actual convertible body for balancing purposes.

How about the Peugeot 206CC then, (one of) the first mass-market steel roof convertibles:

6 Likes

I’ll use my CW5 entry as an example. It’s made on a convertible body and the windows/roof bodywork is all fixtures. There’s no stat gains, it’s just the looks.

4 Likes

Don’t targa bodies have the convertible penalty or are they something in between

1 Like

Targa bodies can be considered convertibles, if only because the game treats them as such.

In addition, the maximum wheelbase of 2.5m is most likely a hard limit.

1 Like

I’ll raise the budget cap to $15,000. Making a full on fibreglass track car isn’t what this challenge is about, and I don’t want V8s being put into Miatas, that’s not for this challenge either.

As long as it has the convertible tag in Automation you’re good.

2.5m Wheelbase, max.

I never said that the trim year should be set to 2023, I just meant that only 1999 and not (just to take an example) 1995-2005 was unusually narrow banded for an used car shopping challenge. Though I understand doing it in QFC for balance reasons.

After some tweaks, I finally got my FR test mule to slide in below the new $15k price cap, even with a six-speed gearbox, variable hydraulic power steering, high-performance tires, and anti-lock brakes, among other things.

Felt like I was watching the movie again with my daughter while reading the first paragraph…

Ill try to make something for you Barbie, Ill try.

Anyone wants to collab with me?

i think making it pink should be a rule. At the very least, an eye-catching bright color not necessarily pink