Sports/Supercar Design Thread

THE MODENA 246 GT 2+2 (1960)

5 Likes

WELSH MOTORS WMT
Car built in 1979 in 400 units and used as a basis to create a group 4 rally car.
The WMT developed for rallyes competed in the European championship in 1980 by winning the Danube Rally.

The two turbo engines that equipped the WMT (150hp for the road version and 180hp for the rally version)

3 Likes

The Modena and WMT were not designed as part of a car company, right?
The WMT is an insanely good-looking car, although it’s quite weak in terms of power. 150 horsepower is from the category - tractor racing in Flatout? Though given the realism, maybe that’s enough.
Ah yes, a solid 180 hp engine is used for rally, but again, torque at revs is more important for me.

The rally version produces a higher torque, even if it has less horsepower, than what the fiat-abarth 131 actually produced. In designing the engine I favored driveability and tried to avoid turbo lag, so I made sure that there was excellent torque at low revs.
This is not a controversial response but only an explanation.

2 Likes

1990 RAUK Vanir Turbo

The 1990 Vanir was an attempt from RAUK to build a honest, down to earth, simple mid engined sports car, that was pure fun to drive. Under its sleek fibreglass body, it featured a mid mounted 2 litre Saarland inline 4, that in its Turbo version had a power output of 205 hp. The gearbox and strut suspension was more or less the parts from the front wheel drive Saarland Polygon, now moved to the rear, while there was a double wishbone suspension of RAUKs own construction up front. Sticky 185 rubber up front and 225 in the rear helped to keep the car planted to the road, and behind the trendy 16 inch 3-spoke alloys vented disc brakes helped to stop the car. A sign of the times was that even RAUK now used power steering and ABS, which did upset some purists that would have rather had it more basic and old school.

Performance did not upset anyone, however. It did 14 second times on the quartermile, 0-100 was done in 5.7 seconds and it could top out at 247 km/h, which was not bad figures for a sports car in its class in the 90s.

Like most other RAUK models, the Vanir was more or less hand built in a relatively small series, and the production ended in late 1997 with no direct successor.

5 Likes

Here are a few old builds from 4.1 I made to determine the viability of the rule set for TMCC14. First up is this red MR supercar reminiscent of an F355 and powered by a naturally aspirated flat-crank V8:

Next is this blue FR muscle car that brings to mind contemporary Corvettes and TVRs - it’s also naturally aspirated and V8-powered, but here it’s a cross-plane unit rather than a flat-plane one:

The third car is a green 4-seat sports coupe inspired by the A80 Supra Turbo (exterior design) and Z32 300ZX Twin Turbo (engine configuration - a twin-turbo V6 with a cast-iron block and aluminum alloy heads):

Last but not least, here is a yellow 2-door sedan strongly influenced by the E36 M3, naturally-aspirated straight-six and all. It’s actually the top-spec trim of the KPS K3 shown here, but more obviously performance-oriented:

Interiors

Group shots

I was quite impressed at how these builds turned out - if nothing else, they vindicated my decision to make TMCC14 the way it was. I might even be tempted to remake them in 4.2 at some point in the future.

7 Likes

The C60, my first proper car in 4.27, and I rather like it. (Note: if it has LED daytime running lights it’s the facelift)

14 Likes
7 Likes

'71 SEIKATSU KR
MID ENGINE 6 CYLINDER 2 SEAT SPORT COUPE

1971 Seikatsu KR2000s in "Alabaster Red"

The KR was introduced in 1971 Q2 as Seikatsu’s flagship performance model. Its midship engine layout and wedge silhouette was a stark contrast to the more conventional MR, GR, and UR front-engine rear wheel drive sport coupes that preceded it. Despite the staggering development costs associated with developing a new family of V6 engines and a mid-engine car platform, the KR enjoyed moderate success both in its home market and abroad, particularly in the United States.

The KR2000s launch model had a 2.0L overhead cam V6 with an output of 112 hp SAE net. The international version was released months later with an additional KR2500s model that used a larger 2.5L V6 producing 136 hp SAE net. Seikatsu’s decision to use more conventional materials like steel in the construction of its bodywork was made in the interest of ease of production and quality control, although as a consequence the KR was noticeably heavier than its European counterparts. The bespoke chassis and suspension had considerable engineering input from select motorsports teams, most notably Bergwerks.

12 Likes

Ooh! Is that a LEGO model? :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m sure your car is really high-tech, and much more driveable than the same 1985 Ferrari GTO 328 that I once copied.
It doesn’t have a GT index? If it does, it could very well claim a place in my contest that I’ll run someday.

That’s definitely true of the Wolf - I expect it to live up to its name, and it does just that. With that in mind, what kind of engine resides under that shapely rear deck, and does it drive all four wheels or just the rears?

By the way, it looks like you used the '70 308 body as the basis for the Wolf - if that’s the case, you definitely did a great job with it.

1 Like

Naturally aspirated 3.5 liter V8, RWD

lol

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 5.33.38 PM
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 5.33.52 PM

2 Likes

How do you have the patience to do 3d cars? You guys are nuts!

Mostly just taking lots of breaks
and lots and lots of body molding

2 Likes

Turns out I was wrong about the body choice. Using the 348/355 body, setting the body color to transparent, and placing the right kinds of 3D fixtures, of the right sizes, in the right places, can really make it look as if it was built on the 308 body - and very convincingly to boot. I must admit that it’s a very complex procedure, but one that yields stunning results if done right, as the Wolf emphatically proves.

1 Like

The only two homologation Hypercars Rigor Motors Co. produced to compete in the up and coming endurance races.

Code Named: Delta One

#57 7spd DCT #68 7spd SQ
Both Rear Wheel Drive

Twin-Turbo 8V, Pushing (P) 800HP @7900rpm and 600 lb-ft of torque and a Redline of 8500rpm.

Estimated Top Speed of 210mph, around 220mph in BeamNG (redline limited) 0-100km/h in 2.4sec.

oof Can’t wait for a working steering wheel!

This was the first build I really put a lot of my time into with version 4.2.
Many a back and forth trying to make it drivable, featuring surprise crash tests.
Question.
Is there a fixture counter in the game?
This build has the highest fixture count I’ve made so far, and exports to 90mbs…

14 Likes

That’s beautiful!

3 Likes

2023 AT Cometa Rossa, u want to break record on nordschleife? this baby have all you need, 1000hp, more downforces than it’s weight, and all the grip u want

9 Likes

Well, it can’t break records on Nordschleife, but it can take you from a to b really fast.
I present you the 2022 Velka Kerberos, including a small block V12 and a twin turbo system.

7 Likes

1994 Knightwick Pulse

Since the car got binned I may as well post it in this thread now

Unveiled in 1991 the Pulse uses the basic platform of the Knightwick Steed sedan and coupe but with a slight reduced wheelbase of 2.42m. Instead of the steel construction of the Steed a lightweight fibre glass body is used making the car weight just over 1000kg.

The engine is the Knightwick K1800 used in a variety of Knightwick vehicles, in this case with an intercooled turbo charger bringing power up to 177bhp@6500rpm. A close ratio five speed manual gearbox is the only transmission option with a geared differential to help out the power onto the road through the wide sporty tyres. The 0-100km/h time is 6.43 seconds and the maximum speed is 239km/h

For a small sports car the interior is a very welcoming place to be, with standard leather seats, electric windows and a four speaker cassette and radio system.

A selection of bright colours is available with contrasting roof and interior choices.

6 Likes