The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

well…the name is quite similar, but it’s a different beast under the neath

People, just remember… look at the flowchart in the rules post and figure out which way your car’s path is going.

i always try to keep it as clean as i can, without making it dull.

@strop does this prove it’s no Elantra??

How willing is Kai to go up-market? You said that we shouldn’t replace a Corolla with another Corolla, does that mean that Kai is looking to go more Audi/BMW in terms of pricing?

So far, we have seen only a few daily drivers which are… not so toothless. I might be tempted to make one myself…

Could be a hopped-up Tiburon engine in an Elantra. (Just messing with ya, btw. V6 is a good choice, I considered it myself, but decided I’d go for something unusual.)

I’ve said it twice now: make sure you read the brief and the flowchart.

@JohnWaldock As already stated, please edit your posts instead of double-posting. When replying to somebody else you can also mention them by using the @ tag, it’s really handy.

@phale there’s no set price point. Check the flowchart (again) to see where your car may end up on the ‘do we need to budget’ front.

To explain it again, because this is a novel format: if the car’s approved by both Kai and Kai’s colleagues at GG, GG will subsidise the purchase of the car, so it can be just about anything from an econobox to a hypercar. But the car must be visually appealing enough to Kai for this to happen. If GG think Kai’s going to do something terrible to it by drawing more fire decals on it or something, they won’t want to pay for it, which then comes down to just how much Kai wants to buy it compared to the rest of the field. He does have somewhat limited funds on hand, definitely won’t be able to buy more than an M4, for example, and that’s only if the car is sufficiently better than the rest of the competitors for value, that he’d be willing to spend that much.

Basically, I can’t emphasise this enough: if the design doesn’t have Kai drooling, and I reiterate, impulsive, irrational, permanent-teenager Kai (again, read the story), your car’s going in the big blender of also-rans. This is fine if there really are no sexy cars in this round, but otherwise, you’re all going to get trumped by a gorgeous model unless the gorgeous model turns out to have no substance and is impossible to work with (see the nomogram at the bottom of the flowchart).

Most of you have already gone through your teens, some longer ago than others. What kind of cars did you lust after when you were a teenager?

Now I’ve gone so far as to spell it out this much, I’m compelled to invite those who have already submitted to resubmit, if they feel that this explanation is going to change their approach.

I don’t know Kai, but I’m comfortable with my design decisions. This looks like the kind of car I would have wanted when I was a teenager, something that looks fast and aggressive, while being a little unusual.

As tempted as I was to bring the Taipan in for this round as well, I’m not exactly certain I’d have been able to put it in competition with Gryphon Gear level cars. It’s fast, but it’s not exactly that fast, and gas mileage would have sucked, even with all the electronic wizardry trying to make it cut through the air.

But, when I put the car I submitted up against the revised Taipan in the Coin Flip Test, I was more worried about losing the car I put in the challenge. The Taipan’s a dime-a-dozen supercar that, with a lot more money, time, and effort, could have been made fast (As in a smidge over 6:51 around Green Hell and a bit more than 450 km/h kind of fast), but I didn’t feel it’d be that special.

That’s why I did what I did. (That, and I didn’t think a $450,000+ hypercar would have been even remotely competitive at all.)

my bad, sorry :frowning:

s’all good, you’ve fixed it, nice one.

1 Like

I think the part that I’m struggling with is balancing the daily econobox characteristics with the sexy teenage desirability aspects. All the examples you showed were hypercars, I’m not really sure what Kai is looking for in a daily. If I think of real life ‘sexy’ daily drivers, they’re all really sporty (Mustang, STI, BMWs, etc) and not really cheap or efficient.

ZM will invite soon to test drive a BMMA Salmon 2.3 Sprint

DSD would like to introduce the MUSE. Available in 4 colours be quick as we will only be making 500 worldwide.
Specs we can reveal. We have managed to get the original tooling and blueprints for the original ford SOHC 429 and we will be creating our own version of this classic engine which will have a total capacity of 557ci, along with our friends precision turbo’s who are providing 1000 of their 88mm pro stock turbochargers,we aim to create a modern day super engine that will not drink the gas quick but has enough torque to turn the Earth on it’s axis. We at DSD will be aiming for a top speed of 450km/h while retaining decent sub 1.10’s as a minimum on the test track
The car will be Carbon Fibre completely and will be RWD and Each unit should sell for somewhere around the $215000 Automation dollars

Car may or may not change minor looks but this is the MUSE

can someone explain to me why I can’t get the gifcam to work i have created it as per the instructions but I can’t seem to load it on the site.

edit: not sure on taillights as of yet they prob will change and I may re-work the side skirts but this is DSD keeping it simple and not thinking into the design too much

@Razyx this is one off your bodies correct? can I suggest in the future looking at the morphing of the roof line as it’s abit blocky still

3 Likes

If your car’s sexy enough and GG will pay for it you don’t have to build an econobox.

You can also scroll up and see one of my responses in which I cited a whole lot of classes of cars that have sexy models in them but aren’t hypercars. I think it was this one.

Alternatively you could also look at the flowchart, there’s a graph on it with several alternative suggestions for car classes you could look at.

And that’s what I meant by “don’t replace the Corolla with another Corolla”.

@Darkshine5 I don’t know exactly what Kai’s reaction is yet, but this catches Strop’s eye.

phew, thats good cuz mine is FAR from an proper econobox. still a wallet friendly daily, though

Okay, that makes sense. I’ll have to see what I can do, but I think I’ve got something that will be competitive in the looks department.

The body is by Rayzx: Steam Workshop::Aero J6

been away for a day and came to this…

@strop what have you done??? you could just post a normal challenge but noooo look at me I’m strop blah blah here is my fuc*** book about a possible car… now I need 2h just to get familiar with what I’m supposed to do and what has already been done. This is a crime against community. It is a good one tho… :joy:

1 Like

Fuck normal challenges, brah. I was getting annoyed by the speculation about what kind of price point my next customer might aim for so I was like

ALL OF THEM

Also read the flowchart. Seriously.

3 Likes

Flowchart is the goods lol.
My hopeful path is…
Hot Damn Sexy
GG subsidy for purchase
Modern Supercar/ maybe hypercar
street ability will be on the low side
tinkerness maybe 3/4
and finally hopefully I am sexier in Kai’s eye’s than whateva other dregs you are offered for sale…remember DSD is one of the only manufacturers still operating in Australia and employing Australian’s

Pure gold.