The HD Remaster Challenge [finished]

first f1 car i made

My latest f1 car

10 Likes

My very first car:

And the remaster:

19 Likes

You can use Ctrl+Prt Scr to take a screenshot rather than having to use your phone. F12 also works if you’re running Steam. If you do that, then it’ll show up in your Steam screenshots folder

1 Like

I know, but I wasn’t aware of that 5 years ago when I took that picture

6 Likes

Well obviously you should jump in your time machine and tell past self that

11 Likes

I already used a remake of my first challenge entry for mlc2 so it must go to my second challenge entry instead. This was for CSR106, a somewhat infamous challenge for anyone old enough to be around then.

I think this was a time when i still just used vanilla fixtures, and here are some photos that i amazingly still have on an external hdd.

and hereis the link to the original post.

2 Likes

Oh god, looking back at my very first post is a ball of cringe, but I have been tempted to remake this car in the past.

I did also used to play on a toaster, so it’s not like I have much to work from haha. My Current WIP tries its best to keep the same anachronistic design as this car, so we’ll see what happens.

A laboured link out of regret because I was cringe then but the old php formatting and potato quality (alongside some really cringe lore) should be catalogued.

5 Likes

you can smell those 7 pixels mmm

1 Like

It’s honestly speaking not bad for a Kee car, spare for the trunk mounted exhausts.

1 Like

Well, not my first ever made car, when I made that I had played a lot of hours already, but… not as frequently as I did when I started with Automation again. Also, I last played in Kee era more or less, so I had to start from basically zero.

Still, this car was everything but beautiful and had not really a clear identity. I also picked it because I completely reworked it last year AND I still have the old pics, which isn´t the case for other models I improved with the same effort.

A body update surely helped, too, but by now I am very confident and experienced in using advanced techniques, allowing me for head- and taillights consisting of multiple parts, as well as better sizing and placement of fixtures. I also managed to give the car a japanese-alike look, although its meant to be Austrian, but the overall design is now expressing something in contrast to the old one.

8 Likes

My first car ever, a replica of a 1980 Volvo 343 GL

I tried to count the fixtures from the pics. 17 maybe?

Remastered. Fixture count with a “dummy” interior: 127.

18 Likes

So the oldest car I have a picture of on my HD is this the Ceder Friala → Ferdon Lutece, while the name of the vehicle has changed, it in spirit the same vehicle remade. This was made on the KEE engine (you lot don’t know how lucky you are these days) in 2017 and remade in 2024 after multiple revisions of the game.

24 Likes

My first vehicles are very one-sided designs which are not my strength even now and don’t allow for much redesigning. Its only slightly over a year old, but I wanted to take my first challenge entry from QFC19.

Unlike what this ad says, this car is hilariously terrible. It is equipped with a 2.2-litre inline-5, turbocharged, longitudinally mounted driving the front wheels. It also uses nearly no quality whatsoever, and still managed to be 24,000 in the older version of automation.

I’ll admit, this is a bit of an extreme redesign. It doesn’t share the same body, engine, wheelbase, general design language, and whatnot. The faulty five is replaced with a smooth six, front-drive with rear-drive, wheelbase extended from 2.6 to 2.8m.
It does however serve the same purpose, being a compact executive sedan, and being less bad at being that. Its significantly more reliable (52 → 75) more comfortable (49 → 52), easier to drive (64 → 68) and cheaper at that (24000 → 22000).

Other pictures

15 Likes

Pre-Remaster Naiitsu DSS6

And the not pre-remaster Naiitsu DSS6 Roadster

8 Likes

I could consider remaking the Kee-Era Albury Crusader Mk2:

A later trim of it ended up becoming one of my more memorable Kee-era challenge submissions. However, the whole line was built on what is now a legacy body, and the shortcomings that afflicted both it and its intended replacement (the '89 Z15A/Z16A-like 2-door coupe) effectively mean that I would rather use one of the newly introduced '92 Evade body sets if I get the chance to remake it.

4 Likes

i deleted most of my old cars a while back but this survived sadly. time to remaster, but i think ill make it worse than it already is.

2 Likes

Here’s the '92 AAA Crusader (a UE4 4.3 reimagining of my Kee-era Albury Crusader):

It’s much more detailed than the original, with a few extra touches to give it more presence. I also think it looks far better than before.

The small lip spoiler is meant to reference my CSR47 entry (although other trims had an actual wing instead).

Due to my refusal to download the legacy body set mod pack (which includes the 4th-gen F-body-esque coupe on which the original Crusader was based), and my acknowledgement of the limitations of the '89 Z15A/Z16A GTO/3000GT body set (too wide, with only one body style and two wheelbases), I have chosen the newly introduced '92 Evade body set in 2.53m fastback coupe configuration as the basis for the remake.

This time, I have shown the Crusader with its pop-up headlights deployed - previously, they were always shown in their retracted position due to the lack of a suitable fixture. It still resembles a 456/512 TR from the front, though.

The full-width reflector integrated into the taillight clusters (a nod to the NA1 NSX has also been retained, along with the fastback rear end (which takes the form of a single wraparound rear window).

Whereas we had to use our imaginations for interiors in the Kee era, we can now make them ourselves in the current UE4 release, so here they are.

Interior

Mechanically, the UE4 rendition of the Crusader is powered by a 6.0L all-aluminum/silicon OHV V8 delivering 350 bhp and 390 lb-ft of torque, sent to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual gearbox and helical LSD, with 18-inch forged alloy wheels wrapped in high-performance tires, and large ABS-assisted 4-wheel vented disc brakes, allied to a 4-wheel fully independent suspension (dual wishbones up front, multi-link in the rear) with adaptive dampers to help the car turn and stop on a dime. An advanced safety suite and premium interior/sound system (complete with CD player), along with variable-ratio hydraulic power steering and traction control, ensure a safe and comfortable drive for the two occupants.

Crucially, however, it’s lighter than its inspiration, due to not only being physically smaller, but also having partial aluminum bodywork on an AHS steel chassis. The CSR47 submission was the only major deviation from the basic recipe - it had a luxury interior and sound system, along with a 5-speed automatic transmission, to fit the brief for that challenge. Neither of them are present in the remaster, though, which is for the best considering its more overtly sporting nature - at least in this trim.

4 Likes

this is my second ever car i made 1.5 year ago for a challenge and first car i’m very proud of and i really like how it looks. although it’s a total mess performance wise and has very wide ass. so, not much of improvements to be made for it to be a HD remaster.

my first car wasn’t looking very good, which i made 3 years ago and all the evidences of it are gone. and other cars i made after these are pretty decent

3 Likes

Right, so here’s my first car, made in 2018.

This is the only picture I have of it.

My first challenge entry was made on modded body and that body no longer exists. Sure there are similar ones, but it felt like too big of a hassle.

It was probably called the Uranus CityVan or something like that. Uranus was a fun brand because it was from Europe. Where in Europe? God knows. It was just European.

And here is the remade version!

The 2002 Eltrè Whirl. I turned it into a hatchback because such a small van sounded stupid. (Screw you, Ford Fiest van!) It now also has more than ten fixtures (wow).

The rear lightbar was stupid, so it was replaced by a black plastic bar. I did use bit more creativity when designing the rear, but in my defense, have you ever seen an early 2000s French car with a big lightbar? And I refuse to count in the Citroen XM because the production of that started in 1989.

teehee French car

edit:

I just remembered, I have already remastered my first car in June of 2019. The original first car was made in November 2018.

This is the 2019 remaster

Yeah… It wasn’t good.

17 Likes

My First Car With Lore - Remastered

Before (made about 5 years ago)

After

The Compus La Vitesse is a large, ultra luxury sedan made to compete with the best of the best in terms of technology, and performance.

‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎New Left, Old Right

Old Left, New Right

10 Likes