Yet another cool wall challenge - FINAL RESULTS OUT!

Mark I Rolls Royce Silver Spirit and same gen Bentley Mulsanne for the cool wall. I’d like to see how they do.

Has the new update affected any cars that have been submitted?

my car seems to be out of budget now, but only a little bit
(100 dollars in automation, or 6,6 in the calculator)

Resubmissions are fine if your car can’t meet the budget anymore. I suggest everyone to check this out.

I have entries from
@Kalan
@Violent_Lobster
@Odyssey_Fan
@Fayeding_Spray
@interior
@Texaslav
@GassTiresandOil
@mart1n2005
@BG004130
@DuceTheTruth100
@WangMaster_420
@Maverick74
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@Edsel
@donutsnail
@Hilbert

Also, this is a reminder that there is only 42 hours left until deadline now.
And to clarify, I accept resubmissions if you need to change your car to meet regulations after the update. Not because you all of a sudden wants to send in a different car since I have already started with some of the writing.

5 Likes

Also, cool wall updated with Rolls, Bentley and Oldsmobile.

Tomorrow evening will be the absolutely last chance to update the cool wall, so if you have any suggestions, take them before that.

2 Likes

1995 Mara Kanyon 4.0 GLX-AMM

The Mara Kanyon SUV can trace its roots back to 1982 and was originally developed as a no-frills off-roader (with the only compromise being independent front suspension), powered by a 2.5l pushrod inline-4. With the opening of the worldwide markets in 1990, the Kanyon / Bizon SUV and ute family had to take a backseat to more pressing car developments of smaller (Zvezda) and larger (2nd gen Kavaler) mass market car families.

With the release of the larger 2nd generation Kavaler sedan in 1995, a new 4.0l V8 was becoming available as well. Similar to its predecessor, this V8 essentially consisted of two I4 blocks mated together, but this time based on the OHC Progress I4 block that was introduced earlier in the decade in the Zvezda.

In the mid-90s, the venerable 1st gen Kanyon SUV still had to have a few years of life left in it…

This V8 also made an appearance in the 1st gen Kanyon’s final 1995 facelift in two guises: The 4.0 version was tuned more for economy than for performance and was offered in the Kanyon’s GLX trim together with a gearbox, steering and interior that all were based heavily on what the upscale version of the 2nd gen Kavaler offered. A further factory option for the 4.0 GLX was the special look that Mara’s performance division AMM had developed for the Kanyon / Bizon family earlier in the decade (pictured above). Since this was not a truly performance oriented variant (though it still had a 0-100 time just below 10s and a top speed above 200 km/h), AMM’s signature yellow was not available as the main colour but only for the performance stripes.

… and a factory option for a no-holds barred look was one of the attempts to keep buyer interest high until its replacement was finally ready in the early 2000s.

There was also second version with the V8 bored and stroked to 4.6l in a more ‘purebred AMM’ Kanyon (and Bizon) tuned for street than for off-road performance. This version received the same upscale mechanical and interior treatment based on the 2nd gen Kavaler components and had a swapped default colour palette compared to the GLX-AMM: AMM yellow as the main colour with black performance stripes.

2 Likes

FOR SALE: 1989 Halvson Super Harrier Ute. $3,210 ONO

Seller is accepting offers.

See All Photos

Odometer: 205,846
Body Type: Pickup
Engine: 8cyl Turbo Petrol
Transmission: Manual, 5spd
Drivetrain: AWD

PERFECT FIRST CAR, PROJECT CAR, OR WORK CAR.

Selling my beloved HF series Super Harrier Ute, as I don’t need a powerful pickup anymore. Single owner car, this is the collectible Bicentennial edition, made to celebrate Australia’s bicentenary year in 1988 (yes, it was released the year after, don’t ask me why). Bicentennial additions include black trims, fog lights, premium cassette radio (not in the car right now, but will be included), special gold coloured wheels, red brake callipers, and Bicentennial badging. Factory fitted options include dual exhaust tips and a 1 ton capable towbar.

An extremely capable pickup, the Super Harrier may not be as large as some others on the market, but the powerful turbo V8 making 174kW from the factory means it can carry up to a ton in the bed (if you can fit it), and tow up to a ton as well, while still providing sporty fun.

Selling cheap as it’s somewhat well used (mainly hauling tools to work and general loads occasionally for friends), and has higher mileage. Paint is still in good condition and the rare wheels are spotless. $3210 ONO NO LOWBALLERS, I KNOW WHAT I GOT. LOWBALLERS WILL BE CHASED OFF THE PROPERTY WITH A SPIKED BAT. Car will be available for inspections on weekends only, call for a time to check it out.

4 Likes

1982 Bakerfield Grand Victoria VS

Early model. Hydropneumatic suspension (leak free). No tears in vinyl roof. Chrome trim. Full service history. Rust free chassis and body. Appreciating classic.

$2,650 ONO

7 Likes
15 Likes

LOW KM, LOW WEAR!!

For sale:

1994 MONS SESKISIW

$3187 OBO

Check out this steal of a deal! This 1994 Mons Seskisiw has low km! All original parts! Everything works! New battery installed last year!

Features:

Original large-block 4.2 L V8 is easy to work on (but you won’t have to, it’s a tank)!
True 4x4 drivetrain!
Original environmental protection!
Recent interior cleaning and detailing!
Single non-smoker owner!
Garage kept, old lady driven!

Ok, that last point may be a lie ... here are some pics from our last field trip.

7 Likes

1967 Bellerophon Lecticus Combination Car

The History and the Greasy Bits:
Born of a more practical, if perhaps less tactiful age, the Combination Car is a relic of a previous age where hearses and ambulances were one and the same vehicle. This particlar model is a later example with coachwork over a purpose-built, factory adaptation of the Bellerophon Motor Company’s full-size platform. Power is provided to the real wheels by a 330 cid V8 through a 3 speed automatic gearbox. The corrosion resistant steel panels and torque motor that served it well as a working vehicle should help it cope with the Scandanavian roads even through the harsh winter. Seating is two in the front with two rear facing jumpseats in the rear. Pictured here as is coming off of the container ship, the car runs well and is in museum quality condition.

The Backstory:

The car was well used, but also well maintained and garaged in its first life as a working Combination car in Argos, Indiana. As legislation and increasing on-scene care standards made the hearse/ambulance an untenable proposition, the car was sold into the collection of the Gold Cross EMS Service in Martinez, Georgia. The car began its journey to its current home at the behest (and expense) of an eccentric industrialist who is a massive fan of TV’s Pelle Politibil and Friends. Having completed the titular police car, this Lecticus was to serve as the base for his recreation of Sally Sykebil. Somewhat ironically for a man who just bought a hearse, he passed away before his new car ever made it to this side of the Atlantic. Possesion of the car was passed on to the industrialist’s neice, who finds the whole thing a bit weird. She can’t be bothered right now with her university studies to ship it back overseas where a collector might want it, and she’d be very grateful to anyone local who would be willing to pay a reasonable price to take it off her hands. It’d be the perfect daily driver for someone a little quirky who likes to make a statement and know they’re going to get where they’re going.

Some additional features of interest:
  • The lights and sirens are still working, as well as the PA speaker system
  • Jumpseats are just secure enough to be fun over icy Sweedish roads
  • Rear flat floor and high cieling are still in place, leaving the back a blank canvas for whatever it’s new owner might want to get up to.
  • AM Radio, A/C, Heater
  • (Yes, I know Pelle Politibil is Norwegian but AFAIK it was also dubbed into Swedish and I didn’t want to use Ghostbusters)

$3100 Firm

6 Likes

The 1985 GAA Tornado Turbo

More Info

Produced and marketed by automotive giant GAA the Tornado was meant to be a homologation version of their small truck, the Dinkey. Equipped with a 2.5L V6 turbo producing a modest 210 hp and a whopping 272 Nm of torque. It rockets to 60 in just 6.5 seconds. However, the class it was intended for was soon disbanded. Left with 500 examples the company resolved to sell them as a premium trim of the Dinkey. With price of $38,000. but after more than 20 years of depreciation this example can be your for only $3,400.

More Pictures

2 Likes

CLOSED!

Won’t accept submissions from now on.

1 Like

PART 0 - THE BINS, THE DEDUCTIONS AND AN EXPLANATION

First, the only instabin we had. We were pretty close to having 3 of them, but 2 were fixed when the resubs was done, so probably the authors noticed the errors themselves, I guess.

The instabin?

2002 VV DCX 102 Graham 4.0 - @kalan

Henry turned on his computer to find cars on blocket.se - when all of a sudden he got very annoyed.

“BLAH BLAH BLAH GET FINANCING ON THIS ALMOST NEW MINIVAN BLAH BLAH BLAH, fucking ad banners from dealers slowing down my ADSL connection when I am searching for used cars in my local area!”

Seriously? This car is from 2002, so it clearly violates the rule that cars should be 1997 or older in this challenge. What annoys me even more is that it was not a mistake (such things happen), but you KNEW that it was too new for the challenge, you SAID that it would violate the rules, and still you sent it to me?

Please, don’t do this in any future challenges (from me or anyone else), you are wasting time for both the host and yourself, and this won’t give you any respect from the members here in the long run. And besides, this car would have been too expensive even if it had been from the model year with the most depreciation (1977) so there is another rule broken.

POINTS DEDUCTION

I will probably evoke mixed feelings with some of them, but that’s OK, some of the deductions are very subjective, and I have had second thoughts about some of them, but in the end, the decision has to be made, and after all, I don’t say that you have done anything wrong if you are in this section. You just gambled a little, which may or may not improve your chances of winning.

1993 King Snake EDM type X - @Violent_Lobster
The King Snake EDM type X gets a 3 point deduction for the engineering being a complete mess. For example, a 3 litre four cylinder engine, longitudinally mounted in a car this size. The car is full with strange engineering decisions that oozes of minmax and is very unrealistic (but not enough for an instabin IMO so I let it pass)

1990 Hakumai Crest - @interior
The Hakumai Crest gets an 1 point deduction. Magnesium wheels feels like highly unlikely equipment on a 90s family wagon.

1988 GAZ 3253 OC - @BG004130
The GAZ 3253 gets an 1 point deduction. A coupé this size and shape would probably be at least a 2+2 seater, not a 2 seater like this one.

1997 Wells Activ - @DuceTheTruth100
The Wells Activ gets an 1 point deduction for having separate throttle bodies per cylinder. Not very likely to find in a 1997 pickup truck.

1991 Kino Imperial EL Coupe - @WangMaster_420
The 1991 Kino Imperial EL Coupé has a number of questionable choices, like twin tube shocks, steel wheels and a 4 speed manual, not exactly unrealistic maybe, but I feel like if a car in this class would have had gas shocks, alloys and a 5 speed transmission by 1991. What pushes it over the cliff, however, is the narrow utility tyres that doesn’t belong on this car IMO and the other questionable choices does not help, so it gets an 1 point deduction.

1990 Bazard ATH6 4x4 - @Edsel
The Bazard ATH6 gets an 1 point deduction since it’s very unlikely that a 1990 pickup truck would have a multilink rear suspension, especially paired with rear vented discs.

1977 Takashi Soarer - @ldub0775
The 1977 Takashi Soarer gets an 1 point deduction for insanely staggered tyres in dimensions that would have been science fiction in the 70s.

1994 Mons Seskisiw - @cake_ape
The Mons Seskisiw gets an 1 point deduction, since it feels like a SUV like this would have offered at least 2+2 seating.

Cars that passed with no points deduction:
1990 Stockholm 830X4A - @Odyssey_Fan
1974 Akeos Soul - @Fayeding_Spray
1989 Arlington Archprince Touring ZS - @Texaslav
1992 Armor Tomahawk - @GassTiresandOil
1991 Valiant Tornado GT - @mart1n2005
1984 Markley Clydesdale XLT - @Maverick74
1988 Yamazaki Identité - @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
1997 Boulder L150 Limited - @donutsnail
1988 Hayaku Socan - @Hilbert
1995 Mara Kanyon - @AndiD
1989 Halvson Super Harrier Ute - @lotto77
1992 Eagleye Concorde - @Prium
1982 Bakerfield Trans Victoria - @Tez
1967 Bellerophon Lecticus - @BTCheetah
1985 GAA Tornado Turbo - @SoccerMaster640

ABOUT THE COOL WALL
My first thought was to go through the cool wall car by car, but I quickly realized that it would take forever. So, if there is any certain cars that are confusing you why they ended up being where they are, from now on, you are free to ask and I will answer.

12 Likes

As far as the cool wall goes, the only ones that really seem like outliers to me are the '97 Ford Expedition and F-150. What is it about them that caused these two to get uncool status when pretty much every other similar vehicle rated higher?

It is totally a matter of styling there. He is a bit conservative there, likes the boxy 70s and 80s trucks. When the big 3 was replacing those bodies, all of them went in kind of different ways. Chevy kind of scaled up the japanese minitruck look, a bit anonymous but still OK, Dodge went for an everything but anonymous “big rig” look while Ford was kind of translating their blobby design language from the passenger cars to their trucks. In this case, he does not like the way Ford went with their trucks, and the Expedition is just a soccer mom version of the F150 so it won’t score any higher either.

5 Likes

Forgor about the Mag wheels’ existence when i actually thought i had the budget for a V8 Car. Turns out not, oh well. Probably a sport package feature lmfao :skull:

Christ, you gave me a heart attack with that mention. Thought I’d been binned.

6 Likes

I need to stop putting throttle bodies everywhere!! Dammit!!

About the Hakumai - the Citroen C5 mk1 has mag wheels, sure, it’s maybe a bit newer, but not that far away