2022 Shitbox Rally - Out of This World! (Results Out!)

With smooth working of the gears and pedals, they rolled back into camp, when Jayde suddenly stomped the brakes once more, repeating the impact with the front passenger headrest once more.
As jade apologised profusely, Valentin just grinned.

“You managed to not hit the stump and keep the engine going while doing so. no need to be sorry about that.”, Valentin remarked, as he looked out of the windshield.

“So… for reverse… clutch to one.”, Valentin began as he reached for the gear lever to feel how the gates behaved when trying to go into reverse. It turns out that it wasn’t protected in any way from the other positions or neutral.
“Okay… reverse works the same way as any other gear. Let the spring find neutral, then away and back. If you want to go into reverse, stop the car fully first, otherwise you’ll be brushing gearbox teeth.”, Valentin explains as he plops back into the rear half, making way for Jayde to see out the back through the center, if need be.

Soon, the truck was parked and shut down.
“Well i was seven deeds deep. Now it’s six…”, Valentin countered calmly after Jayde thanked him for the driver’s-ed class.

Over at Robert the Redneck Railcar, the window work was finished up, with Kaylie handing the test duties over to one of the remaining team members.

“You are already in there, you might as well try it.” Tim said, turning around and looking past the boiler into the vehicle’s cabin, spotting Kayle still strewn diagonally across most of the driver seat and rear bench.
“Plus, it’s Val’s car with Val’s problem, so there’s that as well.” he added.

“Not a problem,” Kaylie said. She reached up and carefully turned the key to the accessory position, then reached over to the switch on the door and carefully pushed the down button. With a sudden whirr and a squeak of glass against rubber, the window slowly rolled down. She released the switch, then pushed the up button, watching as the window just as slowly rolled back up. “Looks like your window is fixed,” Kaylie said, looking over as Valentin returned to the rest of the team.

“I’ve got your driver’s side window working, Valentin,” Kaylie said, gathering up her tools. “Just give me a couple of minutes to collect up my stuff and I’ll be out of the way. Also, you’ll be glad to know that both front door cards have had their screws tightened to the proper torque specifications, thanks to Connor giving me some accurate information.” She carefully switched off the ignition key, grabbed up her two wrench kits, then made her way out of the car by squeezing between the front pair of seats and back into the rear bench.

“I can see why you want that window fixed, though. Climbing in and out of there over all of that stuff has got to be a real pain,” Kaylie said.

Some minimal applause from Constantin and Tim followed Kaylie’s successful window “repair”, rending the other side non-functional.
Valentin approached the Dione as the window found it’s way back up, mentally breathing a massive sigh of relief, but not showing one bit of it on the outside.

“Oh the window’s done, i see?”, Valentin says, walking over to the now-operational driver side. He lowers himself a bit and looks at Kaylie through the now-closed window as she crawls about the interior trying to get out again.
“Now to see if it actually beats going in from the passenger half…”, he adds, waiting for Kaylie to get out.

Tim leans over to Constantin and whispers: “Bet you 5 bucks he either smacks his head somewhere or his massive hairdo gets caught on the chain.”
“Deal”, Constantin replies, equally quiet, followed by them nodding ever-so-slightly.

Kaylie looked over the car to make sure she had all of her tools, confirmed to herself that she had, and climbed out of the back seat. She then looked back at the car and sighed. “Aw, man. I am so sorry that I’ve gotten fur all over the seats. I think I’ve got some duct tape back at the truck, I can try to create a lint-roller to pick all of that up, if you’d like,” Kaylie said.

Tim and Constantin get up to take a view of what was now fur-sprinkled seating. The worst offenders were the rear-right and driver seat, with the fireman’s seat also having gotten some of the treatment. They then look, almost stare at Valentin, who now was the person in charge of Robert.

“Yeah i think we’re good, thanks. My fathers dog has phases where he basically dumps all his fur in one go.”, Valentin politely says, thus politely declining the offer of cleaning it up.

The other two just shrug and continue watching, awaiting the result of the five-buck-bet that is ongoing.
Valentin sighs, unsure on if his idea of entering through the driver window was a good idea. After all, a window offers far less area than the entire door.
He takes a seat on the fireman’s position and leans over, turning the key to the first position, followed by him leaning that bit further to roll down the actual window. His long wingspan makes it surprisingly easy to reach the switch from the other side. He gets out and heads around to the other side, intently watching the opening and mentally trying to figure out how to get in with some semblance of grace.

Kaylie nodded. “Fair enough. Just, well… You saw the inside of the Bricksley. I swear, after every stage, it’s like we go through half a roll of duct tape just getting the fur off the seats and out of the carpet. Malavera’s easily the worst offender, his white fur gets everywhere,” Kaylie said.

As Valentin rolled the window down, then headed around to the driver’s side, Kaylie realized his plan and gave a light grimace, recalling the last time she’d seen someone tall go through a window. Her older brother hadn’t handled it well, and now she was watching someone a bit taller try it himself.

Valentin takes a semi-deep breath and starts the process of getting in through the window.

Natural 1 moment incoming.
First, he grabs the brass piping of the roof rack with both hands, followed by his right foot being placed on the bottom edge of the hole where the window would be if closed up. His weight bends the door panel and window frame a bit as he lifts the other leg over and into the car, propping it up on the far side of the driver’s seat. The foot previously placed on the edge follows suit, but as he tries to slip deeper into the car, his hands lose grip.
In a split second, he tumbles backwards and away from the car, trying to grab the B-pillar in an attempt to save himself. Said pillar is missed by quite the margin as gravity took over.

The back of his head hits the ground next to the Tangerine Tank Engine, his chin being folded to the chest as a result of the upside-down angle his torso was at. His lower back is dragged across the chain next to the door. It being exposed didn’t help, as his unbuttoned shirt was, like all things, affected by gravity as well. Still inside the car, the chain of events wasn’t any more pleasant. With his upper back being pulled down, leverage took the better of his lower half, sending both knees careening into the upper frame of the window. Adding to that, his left lower leg was loosely finaggled between the blinker stalk, steering wheel and steering colum. “Surprisingly”, the stalk actually stayed together, which doesn’t help Valentin though.

Valentins immediate reaction was a looong-labored groan as he momentarily lost his senses, although not truly going fully unconscious. This was followed by an intense soundscape somewhere inbetween moaning and groaning in immense pain.

Immediately, Constantin rushed over to help as best he could, knowing nothing about what exactly happened to him. As he looks at and around Valentin, he sees a small puddle of blood forming on the floor below his head.

“Fucking hell he’s bleeding!” Constantin shouts, not yet touching Valentin in fear of a potential neck injury. “Get some… a lot of water and some bandages!”
The instruction was both directed at nobody specifically, but also everyone in the vicinity who was able to act and help.

“Shit!” Kaylie yelled, seeing Valentin taking a tumble and hitting the ground. As Constantin instructed that he needed a lot of water and some bandages, Kaylie dropped her wrench kits to the ground with a crash, then took off toward the Bricksley at a full sprint. She grabbed the small normal first aid kit from inside the glovebox, seeing that it had a roll of gauze bandages inside it after a quick inspection. She slung the strap over her shoulder to carry it, slammed the truck door, and grabbed four of the 5 gallon cans of water off of the roof rack, making sure not to grab any labeled cans.

Then, now burdened with 20 gallons of water and a first-aid kit, Kaylie made her way back to the Dione as fast as she could.

Aa Kayle bolted off to the Bricksley to get water, Connor’s led went to a vividly blinking yellow, making his way over to both Schrants in the process. Valentin, by this time had “raised” one arm down to his head to check the impact site himself.

“He’s safe to move”, Connor stated calmly as ever.
“Then let’s get him the fuck out of that car, goddamnit!”, Constantin blared back, looking at Valentin.
“We’re gonna help you as best we can.”, he adds in an attempt to calm Valentin down a bit.
:sweden: What is happening?”, Valentin moans, now looking at the as-of-yet only slightly bloody hand.
:sweden: You tried and failed to enter through the window. Now we are providing first aid as best as we can.”, Constantin replied, employing emergency dragging tactics by crouching down at the head-end of Valentin, lifting him up slightly to rest on Constantin’s thighs. He then reaches under both shoulders and wraps his arms around Valentin’s chest. He then practically dead-lifts Valentin’s upper body and backs away from the car in an attempt to drag the remainder of him out of the vehicle.
“Fuck…”, Valentin moans, his read resting against Constantin’s shoulder, staining it with blood in the process.

Tim only now realizes what actually is going on.
“HOLY SHIT ARE YOU ALRIGHT?”, he shouts at Valentin, rushing over himself, followed by Valentin looking at him blankly.
“Everything hurts like shit…”, he moans in response, the pain clearly visible in his elongated face.

Kaylie set her containers of water down near Valentin, Connor, and Constantin, then looked around for where Jayde was. “Twin Suns, he’s going to hate me for this,” Kaylie muttered under her breath, before taking a deep breath and saying to the group in front of her, “I’m going to call Jayde over here. He has some sort of healing magic, he’s told me about it, I’ve even seen him heal in seconds from something that should have taken him weeks to heal, and he doesn’t even have a scar to show for it.”

Kaylie, knowing she’d just betrayed Jayde’s trust, turned toward the Bricksley, a tear in her eye as she knew this might be the last time she was on friendly terms with Jayde, yelled out to him. “Jayde! Valentin’s hurt and we need your help!”

Jayde, despite the pain in his left leg, got up as quickly as he could, grabbed his staff, and ran toward the Dione, not caring that he would feel a lot worse later for having done that. He dodged around the rail axle, arriving just in time to see Constantin dragging Valentin out of the window and over the chain running along the side of the Dione. Likewise, he saw Valentin being at least somewhat alert and moving, a sign he probably wasn’t in any real danger.

“Come on, Jayde, why aren’t you using your magic to heal him?” Kaylie asked, staring at Jayde. “He’s clearly hurt and in a lot of pain.”

“Kaylie, he wouldn’t want me to use magic on him. Unless his life is actually in danger, I won’t betray his trust like that,” Jayde replied. “From what I can see and smell, this ‘first-aid’ kit will likely be enough,” he added. “So unless Valentin himself asks me to heal him, or unless someone tells me his life is in danger because of his injuries, I will let nature run its course.”

Upon hearing magic being mentioned, everyone except Constantin looks at Kaylie, confused as to what exactly is meant by “magic”.

“He needs medical attention, not some hippie-juice essential oil shit.” Constantin quips at Kaylie, now giving Valentin as a whole a good yank out of the car. The idea, in theory, was good, but backfired a bit as Valentin’s left foot got snagged on the blinker stalk, breaking it’s limit-stops in the process. As a result of the load applied to the ankle, Valentin yelps out in pain.

Soon after, both legs simply plonk onto the ground after their entire length was dragged across the chain, followed by Constantin also lowering the upper body again to a semi-seated angle.
Connor then went to work examining other damage done either by the fall itself or the less-than-elegant extraction.

“Right, because extracting an injured person by dragging them out of the window like a gorilla is going to be better than ‘hippie-juice and essential oils,’ let alone what I’ve seen Jayde do. At least turn him over so someone can clean up the wound on the back of his head and the mess you just made,” Kaylie quipped back, grabbing one of the 5-gallon cans of water.

As soon as Valentin was turned over and the extent of the damage was made a little more obvious, Kaylie flipped open the lid on the can and carefully started pouring the water, trying to wash out the wounds as much as she could.

“YOU try getting a good hold on a greasy, seven-foot noodle with absolutely zero visibility!”, Constantin blared back, finaggling himself around Valentin, this time more graciously, and moved him into a forward-leaning seated position. After that, he cleared the now-dirt-coated blonde hair away as best he could to get a view on the impact site. On the back of his head was a large, although at least rather superficial wound, visibly bleeding out of there, staining a substantial amount of the surrounding hair in the process.

As Kaylie went ahead and started pouring the water all over Valentin’s head, he didn’t really react all that much. The soothing, warm water made him feel at ease for the time being as he just let it run all over, drenching his entire hairdo, shirt and the surrounding area in water.

Connor, meanwhile, went back to the car to retrieve the vehicles first-aid kit out the back, just to discover it being expired. By 40-odd years. He returns to the car, not holding anything. Spotting the kit Kaylie has brought along, he briskly walks over and takes a look at it.
Valid until August 2041
He immediately opens the box, digging about for what is useful, eventually pulling out copious amounts of bandages and a compressive pad used to apply pressure in an effort to stem the bleeding.

Jayde picked up one of the cans of water, feeling tensions rising between Kaylie and Constantin and trying to keep himself from intervening unless it was absolutely necessary.

Kaylie laughed. “Getting a good hold is not a problem, it’s making sure I don’t grab too hard,” Kaylie shot back. “It’s why I didn’t try, because I knew that I couldn’t move him safely. Any ape could have done what you did, and make the problem worse. Hell, even I could have done that. But no, because you’re military, you have to be tough and can’t wait for someone to come and help. Even if you don’t trust in Jayde having magic, you can’t deny that he,” Kaylie said, pointing to Jayde with her right hand while maintaining a steady grip on the metal can with her left, “might have had an easier time of lifting your teammate.”

As the water ran out in the first can, she slapped the lid closed with a metallic clank of her chrome-plated palm against the cap, then grabbed the can out of Jayde’s hands, unaware of how cold the contents had gotten. She flipped the lid open, then tipped it to continue the process of getting Valentin’s wounds cleaned up.

“OOOOhhhhh, so you were just gonna have him hang there like a cow, upside down and his wounded head sat in the dirt. Just gonna let him there and bleed for a good two minutes. Sounds like the best thing to do.”, Constantin countered, watching Valentin’s reactions to the treatment, which weren’t exactly plentiful, except for a still continuous groaning in pain and some movement of getting wet hair out of his face.

As the second can was opened, the ice-cold splash was very unexpected to both Schrants.
Valentin immediately was filled with Adrenaline, his gaze shooting up and around, trying to figure out what was really going on. All the pain he had was washed away, literally. Though as his face rose quickly, the water flow naturally ended up there, resulting in him leaning further forward in an attempt to get away from it.

“WHUUUAUAAAAHH!!!”, he exclaimed as the cold water was running down and around his neck, traveling further across the shoulders, chest and back.
Constantin also got splashed by some stray water, immediately letting go of Valentin and sort-of heeling back in response.
Tim, at this point visibly concerned about Valentin, couldn’t hold in his laughter and heartily chucked at the impromptu ice-shower he got.

Jayde sighed as Constantin and Kaylie kept fighting, constantly trading insults and verbal jabs. He pointed at Kaylie and Constantin in turn, then said, “Stop. Fighting.”

Kaylie startled as, right before she could reply to Constantin after apparently dumping cold water down Valentin’s back, Jayde told them both to stop fighting. It wasn’t that she’d forgotten he was there, but instead hadn’t expected that he’d get involved.

Jayde waited a few seconds to see if either of them had something to say, and when neither of them continued, Jayde asked, “Now, can the two of you work together in a civil manner, or not?”

“Both of you have been fighting since Valentin was injured,” Jayde continued, trying to keep his voice calm. “What good is fighting going to do for helping Valentin? Yes, you’ve washed out his wounds with water, but you’re fighting, back and forth, about how he was removed from the window. Meanwhile, Connor is the one who is preparing bandages.”

Constantin was equally thrown-off by Jayde intervening. Granted, the vocal battle was very heated by this point, though in Constantin’s defense, so was the stress involved with trying to help Valentin.
He just blankly stares at Jayde for a moment, then at Valentin, sat on the ground as Connor hobbles over to actually provide useful help beyond simply brute-forcing him out of the Redneck Railcar.

Valentin, still being drenched in cold water, was absolutely baffled by the heated argument that had unfolded around him. He shuffles away from the stream a bit and actually starts to shiver ever so slightly to regain some of the lost heat.

Connor took note and approached Valentin calmly, completely ignoring the others above.
“I’ll have to take your shirt off so you don’t cool down even further.” he explains as he makes his way around the back and helps Valentin rid himself of his Hawaii-shirt.
“What in carnation is even happening?”, Valentin asked, now actually alert and mentally functioning.
“They are apparently discussing what is ‘good first aid’ and what is not.”, Connor replies as he starts applying the bandage to his head, using the pad as a pressure point to stop the bleeding from getting any worse.

After a short-but-awkward silence, Kaylie sighed. “Ever heard of verbal fencing, Jayde? It helps some people get through stressful situations,” Kaylie said. “I’d suspect Constantin’s one of those people. If he’s not, well, I know I am.”

Jayde looked over at Kaylie, then mentioned, “With a major injury, the faster you can get it cared for, the better off they’ll be. A few extra cuts, scratches, or bruises will heal. You can’t heal the dead.”

“Exactly. Time is paramount when it comes to first aid, so helping quickly is the most important bit of all.”, Constantin pauses for a bit, folding his arms and completely ignoring his wet arms and blood-stained chest.
“Verbal fencing, as you call it, is what you get when you suddenly are questioned about your decade of training.” he adds in minor annoyance at Kaylie.

Connor was in the middle of wrapping what seems like a mile of bandages around Valentin’s head, but took note of the discussion above.

“Valentin would’ve lost blood much more quickly if left as he was. Gravity would have drained blood from the legs, pooling in his head, shoulders and arms. The added pressure increases blood-loss.”, Connor explains as he neatly finishes up the bandage with a strip of what is the medical variant of duct-tape.

With the effects of adrenaline brought on by the splash of cold water fading away, the pain returned, making Valentin visibly uncomfortable…

“Everything hurts… knees, back, left ankle… everything”, he moans, looking down the stilts that are both legs.

“I know the importance of time all too well,” Jayde said. "Sure, I have a leg that lets me walk almost-normally again, but if there wasn’t an active battle going on, I might still have most of my leg. I may have lost my knee and below to a propeller shard, but,” Jayde mentioned, before rolling up the leg of his shorts and showing that at least half of his thigh was also gone, replaced with black metal and brass, “I wouldn’t have gotten the infection that required a second amputation.”

As Connor mentioned that Valentin would have lost more blood if left as he was, Kaylie nodded. “Damn. Well, it’s why I’m a mechanic, not a field-medic,” she admitted.

“Sorry, Constantin. I guess you did do the right thing,” Kaylie said. “I’m so used to rushing like that causing more damage to the things I’m trying to fix. And yes, I know the story about my arm, but I can’t recall the actual event. But I remember waking up feeling like hell because someone hit my head on two door-frames and cracked both of my knees into another bulkhead door getting me into the medical bay. I guess that’s part of “If she’s mad later for the pain, at least she’s alive enough to be mad about it,” and part of healing in general.”

Constantin respectfully nodded, now knowing that the ‘conflict’ was settled.
He turned a bit to get a look at Val and despite not having heard that Val was in pain again, he immediately could spot the scratches that were caused by the chain sliding down his lower back with Valentin’s full weight resting on top as it went down. He flinches a bit at the sight of it and sort-of-but-not-really regrets having gone that aggressive with the extraction.

Connor went about focusing on Valentin’s knees first, as they were more critical for his mobility and ability to operate Robert as the driver. The initial examination doesn’t yield anything of note, which is why he gets up and paces about the accident-site to piece together what exactly happened.

Jayde grimaced as he saw the scratches as well. “He might get some scars out of that,” Jayde admitted. “I wish I could do something for those, but everything I have might not be safe. A lot of it is meant for me.”

Kaylie looked over the scratches, then said, “I’m not sure they’re deep enough to scar. At least, not permanently.”

“If he keeps his back clean, they shouldn’t,” Jayde mentioned. He then looked to Kaylie. “Where are the drying cloths, again?”

“The towels? Under the front seat. Keep out of the clear bag, those are Malavera’s towels. Get him one of my pink ones, please,” Kaylie said.

Jayde nodded, then grabbed his walking staff and made a quick walk back over to the Bricksley. He looked under the front bench, grabbing one of Kaylie’s pink towels out of the blue plastic vacuum bag, then carrying it over to the Dione. “I’m not sure how to go about drying someone off with wounds like that, but I’ve got a towel in case that’s safe,” Jayde said, leaning on his staff with a grimace.

Valentin just sat there trying to keep calm and deal with the pain while Connor carefully reconstructed the events. At some point, he crouches down to Valentin again and re-examines the knees, coming to a conclusion afterwards:

“As he fell out of the car, both knees impacted the door frame, followed by them being put under a constant load as the force that prevented him from sliding out further. With the available equipment, not much can be done other than minimize load. The same applies to his left ankle, which got caught on the blinker stalk during extraction.”, Connor explains, just as Jayde returned from the Bricksley with a towel in tow.

Constantin and especially Tim just stood there, watching the process happen and unsure as to how they could be of added help, given that Connor seemingly took over medical duties.

“Leg injuries,” Jayde said with a pained grimace. “If he’s lucky, they’ll heal, but that’s not a fast or easy process.”

Kaylie looked around to see if she could find her brother, Kayden, anywhere, but couldn’t see him. Like Constantin, Tim, and Jayde, there wasn’t much she could do as Connor worked to do what he could to help Valentin.

Valentin was bummed out upon hearing the description Connor gave regarding his knees and ankle.

“[:sweden:] Goddamnit… [:us:] Time to spend a good month off the bike again…”, Valentin muttered. At least the pain was reasonably bearable at the moment.

Connor took the towel from Jayde and gracefully went about drying off his back. Valentin winced a little every time the towel was tapped onto the area, but it didn’t take too long to finish the drying process. Valentin’s hair was still soaking-wet, but simply moved forwards to his chest, to which it promtly stuck.

“He sure does seem over the hill now…”, Tim commented, looking at Valentin sat on the ground, trying hard to refrain from claiming his winnings.

“It still hurts…”, Valentin mumbled. “Still… thanks for helping. Or attempting to help.” he added, having been aware enough to notice the verbal fencing that followed his extraction.

Jayde winced, understanding that losing a preferred method of getting around was bound to be almost as bad as the injuries that Valentin had sustained. Especially with the knee injuries he’d picked up and the injured ankle, Jayde believed that Valentin really shouldn’t even be walking if he didn’t absolutely need to.

“I wish I could have been of some help,” Jayde admitted. “By the time I got here, Constantin already had you out of the window, and Kaylie had already grabbed water and the red bag.”

Kaylie gave a light shrug. “Sorry for fighting when I should have been helping,” she said.

“At least you weren’t like the millions of asshat-motorists that see a car wrapped round a tree and blissfully ignore it because they don’t feel responsible for that. Trust me… barrel-rolling across a B-road, spreading bits of carbon fibre bicycle everywhere and ending in a ditch ain’t fun if you spend about 20 minutes there with no help whatsoever…”, he explained, both disappointed in the lack of aid given by the motorists and glad that the members of Shift Happens tried their best in helping immediately.

Valentin then began trying movement while sat on the floor, which for the knees worked reasonably well, albeit in substantial pain, but the ankle was worse, with only minimal movement being viable within his pain tolerance. With that done, nobody knew how well loading them would work.

“Can someone get me up please? I’ve been sat in the dirt for this entire time.”, Val asks, looking up and over his shoulder at the others.

Jayde nodded. “Yeah, let me help you up out of the dirt and the mud,” he said, sticking the end of his walking staff into the dirt before walking over to Valentin, leaning down and hooking his forearms under Valentin’s shoulders. “On three,” Jayde said, taking a deep breath. “One. Two. Three!” Jayde slowly rose to a standing position, taking care to hold Valentin’s weight and slowly letting him take more of it himself to see how injured he was.

Kaylie looked at the first aid kit, the four containers of water of which two were still full, the green shirt and gray tank top covered in grease and dirt, and over where she knew the two dropped wrench kits were. Then Connor handed back the pink towel, and Kaylie gave a groan. “I hate asking for help, but, Constantin, I could really use some help getting some of this stuff back over to the Bricksley. Whatever you feel like you can manage or you’re willing to do, I’ll appreciate it.”

Jayde helped Valentin get up, albeit less than gracefully from either of them, as Jayde failed to use his legs to assist in providing lifting power and Val could not help all that much either, not knowing how much load the legs were even able to take. As such, Jayde was forced to practically deadlift Valentin to a height where he could his feet below his body to make an attempt at supporting himself.
It immediately became obvious that mobility would be severely limited, as Valentin rebalances his entire weight to the right leg, with the left one only loosely resting on the ground.

He winces in pain and shakes his head in disdain as he discovers his left ankle to not be load-bearing. At least for the moment. The right leg wasn’t any more comfortable, but at least able to take his weight without agonizing pain bringing him back down into the wet, slightly muddy ground.
The weather taking a turn for the worse was the icing on the cake of misery today.

Constantin, meanwhile, nods a little.
“Sure, i can do that.”, he agrees and heads over to collect the greased-up pieces of cloth before taking them to the toolboxes and draping them in the clothing Kaylie brought along. He then picks the toolboxes up with ease and carries them over to the rest of the group for the time being.

“Now where exactly do you need those?”, he inquires, looking vaguely at the Bricksley parked a few yards away.

Kaylie grabbed the two empty water cans, then said to Constantin, “In the cab, under the rear bench, beneath the radio console. Doors should still be unlocked.” As she got to the truck, she put the two empty containers onto the roof rack, then headed back toward the Dione.

Jayde looked to Valentin, who was able to at least stand and take his own weight. He carefully led Valentin over to the Dione, grimacing as more water trickled through his fur, then once he was sure Valentin wasn’t going to fall, he looked through his bag to find a pair of leather and brass crutches. After pulling them out, he made a couple of adjustments to fit Valentin’s height, then said, “I know how much anyone hates having to use these, but… I spent the better part of half of a year learning to walk again, which is why I had these. As I got better with my leg, I used them less, and eventually, left them in there. The healer who got me patched up after the battle that cost me my leg told me if I ever saw someone who needed the crutches, pass them on.”

Kaylie grimaced as she picked up the last two containers, still full of water, making her way back over to the truck. “Of all the times it could fucking rain!” she grumbled.

Jayde retrieved his walking stick and waited to help Valentin out if he needed any other adjustments done to the crutches.

2 Likes

Valentin grabbed a hold of the car’s roof directly this time, avoiding the use of the roof rack for bracing.
Though it did not feel all that secure with only two points of contact between him and solid objects.

Constantin practically speed-walked to the Bricksley, where he temporarily sat down the box in his left hand to open the door. After that, he carefully placed the two red, metal boxes in the rear footwll and slid them below the seat. The draping cloths used to protect the door remained with the boxes for lack of an instruction on where to put them.
As he returned, Constantin took over duties in helping Valentin stay upright until Jayde pulled out a pair of axillary crutches from a bag that seemed too small to house them.

Nobody really looked hard enough to care, though, as Valentin was handed those rather pleasant-looking walking aids.

“Thank you.”, he says as he takes a look at them before trying them out for a bit. Surprisingly, they fit remarkably well, if a wee bit short on the feet-end. Still a pleasant surprise, given the fact that most things Valentin encounters are not made with his frame in mind.

A few, careful steps are made with those crutches to get a feel for them, the others watching as it happens.

“You’re welcome,” Jayde said. “If they need any adjusting, let me know.”

Kaylie wandered around the Dione, gathering up the remains of the first aid kit before returning what was left of it to the Bricksley, occasionally keeping an eye on Valentin as he made a few cautious steps with the crutches.

Jayde watched Valentin’s careful steps, and after he returned to the Dione, Jayde looked at the car with a curious look on his face. He crouched down and looked through the open window, seeing the seats were in different positions and, more interestingly, the seat backs were in different positions. He carefully stood back up, clearly thinking about something and trying to figure out how to word it so that it could be understood.

“If you can fold the seat back with a mechanism, why not fold the seat all the way back and climb over the seat? I mean, it might not work, I don’t know how these work, but… Maybe it’s an idea?” Jayde said.

Valentin took a lap or two around the Dione and felt increasingly secure using them.
He did lengthen them a bit himself on the far-side of the car, though to make them that bit more comfortable to use.
Once he returned, Jayde suggesting folding the seat backs flush kind of annoyed Valentin. Not because it was a bad idea, but because he failed to come up with that himself.

“Goddamn why didn’t i think of that!?”, he exclaims, also taking a look inside and mentally trying to piece together a process through which entering could be done.
“Not sure how well that works being burdened with having half a useful leg…” he adds, aware of his height potentially creating clearance issues even in a car of this size.

“I’m gonna start setting up tents for you guys…” Constantin remarked and got to work unloading the equipment from the roof with help from Tim.

As Valentin exclaimed in annoyance about not thinking of folding the seats flat, Jayde thought for a second or two before saying, “Tinker’s paradox. You focus on an idea that you’re sure will be the perfect solution, only to find an easier solution after all of the work is done,” Jayde said. “I’ve experienced it a time or two.”

When Valentin then mentioned his uncertainty of how well he’d be able to do that, Jayde thought on it for a few seconds again. “If I were shorter, I’d try and see if I could make that, but… One, it is not my vehicle in which to try, and two, I don’t think I’d fit.”

Valentin just stood there and pondered for a bit, looking into the car with all it’s modifications inside.

“I have an idea. Lemme try that.”, he says, hobbling over to the fireman’s door and opening it. He then turned around and took a seat, leaving both legs outside for the time being. After that, he chucks the crutches over into the back, watching them tumble down and ending up in the second row footwell. This is followed up by him shuffling across the center console over to the driver seat and had to exercise his upper-body flexibility to remove the headrest and fold the seat flush with the rear bench. Then he shuffles further across the back rest, turning in the process and ending up facing the front of the car while sat in the rear-left with his legs stretched out in front of him. At last, he shuffles back up front and returns the back and headrest to the normal (to him, anyway) position.

While this entire process wasn’t by any means pain-free, it was about the best possible solution he could come up with and bearable enough to execute a few times a day.

He pokes his head out of the driver window, looking at Jayde and Kayle.
“Well i’m in. Sort of, anyway”, he comments in some degree of discomfort, mostly due to his ankle.

Kaylie smiled. “Well, I’ve seen worse ways to get in. When we were practicing for a 24 hours of clunkers race, Kayden had been watching NASCAR and gave a window entry a try. Head first. Extracting him from under the dash was fun,” Kaylie said. “The important thing is that you can get in without too much trouble, and get back out again. I think Constantin might be best for helping on that, though,” Kaylie added.

Jayde nodded. “As much as I’d like to help, well… It’s best to have a teammate help out. They’ll always be around when you need them,” he said.

The two of them walked back toward the Bricksley, ready for a quick meal and calling it an early night.

“I’ll just have to see if it gets any better over the next few days… Thanks again for helping.”, Valentin replies, as he starts folding the seat flat again with the headrest removed. The process of getting out was much simpler, but required two people to accomplish.
He simply shuffles, backwards, to the nearside rear via the offside rear seat and pops open the door behind him.

“Constantin?”, Valentin asks, looking at him halfway through getting the tent set up after having assembled his own first.
“Yeah?”, he replied, turning around to face Valentin.
“I’m trying to figure out how i can enter and exit without making anything worse…”, Valentin pauses for a bit, aware that it one again is a request for aid. “I may or may not need a little help…”

Constantin simply drops the wooden tent-pole he was holding and takes all of four steps to Valentin.
“What should i do?”, he asks, stood next to Valentin outside the half-open door.
“Please get down here. I need some bracing to get to standing without eating dirt on the way out again.”, Valentin replied, unintentionally poking fun at Constantin and his extraction methods.

Constantin simply crouches down and moves around a bit to get as stable as possible a platform for Valentin to get a hold on.
“Ready.”, he said, followed by Valentin basically hugging him trying to get a good grip. “Three. Two. One. Up!”, Valentin counted once he was ready, followed by Constantin driving himself and Valentin to near-standing height via pure thigh-power.

After that, Valentin lets go and supports himself on the open door, asking Constantin to retrieve his crutches from below the rear bench.
Not long after, Valentin was “mobile” again, after which Constantin returned to tent-assembly and Tim was tasked with making dinner.

For lack of an alternative, said dinner ended up being “add-water-to-it-and-boil-it”-type Pasta, which wasn’t exactly stellar for a dinner meal, but given the circumstances and shitty weather, worse could be had.

The remaining evening was spent in relative peace, with them heading to bed earlier than usual to account for the early departure they are making tomorrow.

3 Likes

When’s the next stage going to drop?

By the same schedule the other stages have. So, in roughly 51 hours.

or two days and three hours

3 Likes

Team Slow

Chapter 3, Part 9
Hopefully smooth-sailing!

Whilst we were casually sitting near our car, in the campsite tent, in the nice morning, Matt sits there and John goes outside and aesesses any damage from that whole situation, besides like several accumulated scratches, dents and dings, nothing else mechanically broke,

We go outside and then Matt goes and knocks on the car’s window to wake up Izzy, she wakes up and then opens the door and asks him “Huh?” “We’re going to go look for “parts” to jerry-rig together if it breaks down.”

Matt replies back to half-awake Izzy. “Sure, I could do with some walking i guess.” She replies back, and then we go looking around the forest for anything that remotely is for a vehicle. After some time of finding parts, we find Wagon wheels, an jerry can “Oh, that could be useful, we could do with a few more” Matt sheepishly says as he has his horde of cans. Izzy finds a worn out steel wheel “That’s no use, it’s rusted out.” as she inspects it. John finds nothing at all, besides a tailight bulb. “Welp, Let’s go back”. They start going back to the car, walking past the Dione owned by RK Series Racing and walking back to the XL53 and to the tent. “We didn’t find much did we.” They all agree on the fact they didn’t really find anything.

John then goes and falls asleep on the tent floor, Matt and Izzy just sit there playing a game of poker, “You know, we should honestly take a look at that Dione RK Series racing has again.” Matt says as he ends up winning the game, both Izzy and Matt go along to the Dione and take a look at it. “You know, i really like how this car runs on rails.” Matt replies whilst Izzy is just taking a look at the car. They finish looking at the Dione after like, 30 or so minutes and get back, Matt goes and checks the vehicle has any charge in the battery, The battery is dead. He opens the hood, and goes and looks for the jumpstarter. He finds it beneath the parcel shelf and tries to start the car, no charge. “Damn, The battery is dead. We only have like 51 Hours or something like that left till next Stage- Oops, 34 Hours…” Matt says whilst he walked back to his bed in the tent. (OOC: If anyone has spare car batteries let me know.)

John and Matt tries going for dibs on various vehicular parts to find during the stage. “I claim dibs on an radio!” John says to Matt, and then Matt replies “Yeah? I claim dibs on an pull strap for the door.” Izzy then replies to the both of them “That’s child’s play. Why not parts for the whole car” whilst she’s trying to not laugh at their disagreement battle. “Isabella I dont think you get it.” John replies to her. “No shit Sherlock.” Izzy says back to John as she goes back to making herself some food. John goes and eats his food from the portable fridge. Izzy then finishes her dinner and starts eating her food. She then sits down on the floor, taking in how short she is like Matt. But besides that, they go rest for a bit. And then realise they’d have to do window exit if they’d ever have to get out the car during next stage if someone is driving the car because the driver inside door handle cable broke. “That’ll work, there’s other doors or methods to get out a car.” John says. “That’s fine.” Matt replies to John. They then go back into the tent and relax.

TO BE CONTINUED.

i have to ask when that happens. The team spends most of the 7 camp evening in the immediate vicinity of the car, so they will notice anything that is not looking at it from a distance.

Approx at 7:30 Sun.

in that case your team sees Kaylie of Shift Happens crawling about the Dione’s interior, trying to fix the driver window.

Valentin is away, so is the Bricksley of Shift happens

the other members (Connor, Constantin and Tim) are watching Kaylie work, with Connor providing intel on how the car works.

starting about here in our latest triple-header, give or take a paragraph

EDIT:
depending on how long you look, you see Valentin return, try to climb in and subsequently take a tumble back out of the car

3 Likes

I will take this one.

3 Likes

from then onwards it is, i guess
where it ends depends on how long you look

3 Likes

In that case they were looking about the Dione for like 45 minutes.

okay.
in that case the team leaves again as Kaylie just about finishes the repair.

which raises another question:
how far away is the Schnell parked from the Anhultz?

i am asking because your team might be within earshot of the latter segments happening.
and the distance now might become important later on

2 Likes

Approximately like, 50 feet.

3 Likes

There is a charged jump starter, jumper cables, and in case it does not work, a charged spare battery in the Freeway Star. I might actually have time for a little co-operation tomorrow.

3 Likes

The jump starter works. Just happens to be battery. Would be interesting to also see a Surfboard battle

Shitbox Rally

Stage 8: Vallengarda to Addavuul

Stage Start: 1 Sun, 26/7/3251, Vallengarda Campsite

Weather at Stage Start: Hot. It’s absolutely pouring rain, visibility is reduced as a result, and it’s not even cold rain, it’s warm.
Weather at mid-stage: Still hot, still chucking it down, but now the wind has added to the chaos by making it occasionally rain sideways.
Weather at Stage End (First Car): Hot, still raining but not as heavily, still windy.
Weather at 7 Sun: Warm, the rain finally stops and the sun begins to peek out from behind the clouds, as the wind dies down.
Weather at Stage End (Last Car): Warm, humid, with a gentle breeze.

Stage End (First Car): A little after 3-and-60 Sun, 26/7/3251, Addavuul Campsite.

Stage End (Last Car): A little after 1-and-20 Moon, 26/7/3251, Addavuul Campsite.

The rain hasn’t let up from last night, and instead, it has only gotten worse. What was a dirt road leading out of Vallengarda has now been saturated with water, turning into nasty, slick, clingy mud. What might have been a somewhat fun dirt road a couple days ago has turned into a mud pit that people back on Earth would be enjoying with heavily modified 4x4 rigs. With several winding turns, a couple of railroad crossings, hills, dips, and gallons of mud, it’s a grueling slog for everyone. Thankfully, as everyone nears Addavuul, there’s more gravel and less mud, and the Addavuul campsite is a large gravel patch. Nearby, there’s an old, boarded up, abandoned mine, complete with an old minecart sitting out in front, filthy with coal dust in spite of years of weather trying to wash the dust away. Some of the buildings around the place also point to this mine having closed a while ago, as the roofs are in rough shape, though some still provide shelter against the rain. As the day continues onward, the rain eases up, though the ground is still slick with mud.

Notes: Randomization is active. Breakdowns are active. Time is in Earth Time.

NOTE!

For the next handful of stages, I’ll be releasing these every other week. This means Stage 9 will be out on June 6. Long story short, I’ve had way more role-playing going on than I expected, and I’ve realized if I’m going to keep up with all of it, plus the challenge duties, I need more time than just one week. Seriously, I wrote some of this on Sunday, the day before this was supposed to go live. This is only temporary, so don’t worry. I’m not ending the challenge early, I’m not canceling the challenge, and I’m not putting it on hold. I’m just slowing things down for a period of time to give myself more time to work with. Likewise, this should also help the big story writers out there, because instead of trying to cram art and story into one week, you’ll have two weeks to do it.

@Madrias

Team Shift Happens

Distance Traveled: 355.2
Time (HH:MM:SS): 06:13:23
Average MPH: 57.0
Randomizer: 13
Refueling Stops: 1
Breakdown: 0
Total Distance Traveled: 2664

When it came to picking a driver, it came down to who has off-road experience. The only one who had any in a somewhat modern vehicle was Kivenaal, who has an off-road converted Bricksley Knight convertible that he uses, on occasion, to shame people in proper off-road rigs. Kivenaal, behind the wheel of the Highwayman, absolutely sent it, getting mud everywhere and claiming second place, only being slowed down when he had to wait for a train.

@Caligari

Team Wayfarers

Time (HH:MM:SS): 05:39:39
Average MPH: 62.7

Who knew that Chernobog liked the mud bog so much? Despite being up to the axles deep in the mud in places, and so heavily caked in mud from the tires that the truck looks mud brown now, the mighty Bogatir drags itself into the camp. It’s filthy, but this is what first place looks like when it decides to dump a weeks worth of rain in one day.

@Executive

Team Gearknobs

Time (HH:MM:SS): 10:20:11
Average MPH: 34.3
Randomizer: 11
Refueling Stops: 0

The ballsy move of bringing the Japanese hatchback to a long-distance rally didn’t pay off today. The Carica, despite being driven hard, spends an awful lot of time with the engine screaming, the tires spinning at 90 miles an hour, and going all of 30 miles per hour for doing so.

@BannedbyAndroid

Team Fallen Angels of the Past

Time (HH:MM:SS): 11:22:31
Average MPH: 31.2

Like the other RWD vehicles out there, the Claussient struggles into the mud and almost immediately gets stuck. A clever strategy of backing up through the mud is done instead, and more progress is made that way, despite the slow speed.

@interior

Team Slow

Time (HH:MM:SS): 08:15:54
Average MPH: 42.9
Randomizer: 12

While the XL53 doesn’t really like the mud, it does power through it just fine.

@TheYugo45GV

Team Oil Crisis

Time (HH:MM:SS): 08:47:31
Average MPH: 40.4
Randomizer: 10
Refueling Stops: 2

The Magistrate crawls through the mud pit quite nicely, although it’s hard to keep everyone under control when the tanks run dry and the team has to refuel. Dyre pups and mud mix all too well, and now there is mud inside the Magistrate. Just before everyone gets going, a mud-ball splatters on the windshield, leading to a hasty cleaning and a hurried double-check to make sure that was the only mud-ball the cheeky pups had.

@Knugcab

Team Hillbilly Rollers

Time (HH:MM:SS): 09:37:02
Average MPH: 36.9

Not exactly quick, but the van makes it in one very muddy piece. Marie desperately wants a beer. Janne and Andreas have applied duct tape to the worst of the cracks in the broken windshield to keep the rain out. At some point along the stage, the atomic-pink van (now almost looking like a hideous attempt at camouflage between the pink and the mud) has to come to a stop for a level crossing. Instead of the expected slow, lumbering freight train, it’s Team RK Series Racing gliding along the rails.

@Fayeding_Spray

Team Witchlight

Time (HH:MM:SS): 10:43:32
Average MPH: 33.1

Rear wheel drive and mud are not great friends. It’s a good thing that Ambay is quite strong, because on multiple occasions, he’s the one getting the car out of the mud. After a while, it’s Finne who gets a brilliant idea to wrap the rear tires in chains. After finding an ancient, forgotten set of rusty snow chains in the trunk, figuring out how to put them on, and getting back into the car, they crawl along at a snail’s pace, though on the other hand, they are moving.

@MrdjaNikolen

Team Mravolinski-Chitco

Time (HH:MM:SS): 08:54:46
Average MPH: 39.8

Duct tape holds the world together, and in this case, it keeps the cargo in place. The Kontir splashes into the mud, and the small 1.9 liter engine struggles hard to pull through, but it somehow manages to hold up. The time won’t win any records, but at least you made it into the camp.

@variationofvariables

Team Blazers

Time (HH:MM:SS): 07:56:51
Average MPH: 44.6

The lovely red paint is now mud brown, the windshield and side windows are streaked and caked with the stuff, and the Yamada desperately needs the wash that mother nature is sending down, but today, nothing went wrong.

@SurrealCereal

Team Machinas Con Passiones

Time (HH:MM:SS): 09:10:25
Average MPH: 38.7
Refueling Stops: 4

Other than the improvised roof hatch leaking quite heavily in the pouring rain, the four fuel stops, and the minivan looking like someone pulled an ancient dustbuster out of the mud, things went well for Team MCP today.

@AndiD

Team Quick Rally 47

Time (HH:MM:SS): 09:56:49
Average MPH: 35.7
Randomizer: 7
Breakdown: 1 (Powertrain)

Like the last time, it turns out that oil safety switch is a blessing and a curse. It keeps the engine from lunching itself when there is a problem, but when it keeps getting unplugged, it causes delays. This was made worse by the rain, because no one enjoys “hunt for the muddy connector” in the rain.

@BG004130

Team Mrezhari

Time (HH:MM:SS): 07.18.02
Average MPH: 48.6

It has almost become a routine: Chow down on MREs for breakfast, wash it down with energy drinks, slam the racing helmets on before anyone gets a look at you, hop into your trusty Dunav, and then proceed to kill another stage. Today, it’s blinding rain and mud, but the Dunav doesn’t care.

@NoahC

Team Jockey

Time (HH:MM:SS): 16:39:45
Average MPH: 21.3
Randomizer: 7
Refueling Stops: 2
Breakdown: 2 (Chassis)

A little car, four people, and RWD in this mess, it’s a miracle they made it at all. On several occasions, the team had to get out and push in the mud to unstick the Yinzer, usually followed by getting it badly stuck again just a mile further down the road.

@elizipeazie

Team RK Series Racing

Time (HH:MM:SS): 09:31:05
Average MPH: 37.3

While everyone else was fighting with the nasty mud bog, Robert was loaded onto the rails and sent on its way. Sadly, the branch line doesn’t want you going more than 70 MPH, the weather makes it hard to see to go quickly, and the line sent you through two small stations before arriving at Addavuul. On the plus side, the only delays were caused by things out of your control, and you got to see Team Shift Happens and, later on, Team Hillbilly Rollers waiting for you at two separate railroad crossings.

@Tzuyu_main

Team Black Rabbit

Time (HH:MM:SS): 10:38:04
Average MPH: 33.4

Like the other RWD vehicles out there, the Dauer really struggles in the mud. Even being driven hard, making no mistakes, and not getting stuck isn’t quite enough to make up a time gap on the speeding trucks, SUVs, and crossovers with an extra set of drive wheels.

@SheikhMansour

Team Spy Kids

Time (HH:MM:SS): 07:07:02
Average MPH: 49.9

What a surprise, the machine built to handle bad roads, and modified to handle even worse roads, handles being dipped in the mud just fine. Of course, there’s no trace of the original paint, it’s all under a thick layer of mud, but third place is nice, right? Plus all this rain will eventually wash that away.

Stage Finishing Order:

05:39:39 - Team Wayfarers
06:13:23 - Team Shift Happens
07:07:02 - Team Spy Kids
07:18:02 - Team Mrezhari
07:56:51 - Team Blazers
08:15:54 - Team Slow
08:47:31 - Team Oil Crisis
08:54:46 - Team Mravolinski-Chitco
09:10:25 - Team Machinas Con Passiones
09:31:05 - Team RK Series Racing
09:37:02 - Team Hillbilly Rollers
09:56:49 - Team Quick Rally 47
10:20:11 - Team Gearknobs
10:38:04 - Team Black Rabbit Corporation
10:43:32 - Team Witchlight
11:22:31 - Team Fallen Angels of the Past
16:39:45 - Team Jockey

Team Shift Happens

Previous Chapters:

Cinnamon and Apologies - Stage 5 Drive and Stage 5 Camp
An Apology / Campsite Stories / I Have Gas! - Stage 5 Camp (Collab with Knugcab - Original Title: “Gimme Oxygen!”)
The Prank - Collab. with SurrealCereal (Team MCP)
A Tent-ative Meeting - Stage 5 Camp
Engine Troubles / Racing Stripes - Stage 6 Drive and Camp
Capt’n Crazy Capsizes - Stage 6 Camp Collab with Knugcab
Not the Face! - Stage 6 Camp Collab with Knugcab
The Saber of Light - Stage 6 Collab written by TheYugo45GV
Begging for Mercy - Stage 6 Camp
“Not It!” - Stage 7 Drive and Camp
Don’t Drink and Drive - Stage 7 Camp
“Green Light” - Stage 7 Camp Collab written by TheYugo45GV
Window Repairs / Driving Lessons / Natural-1 Moment - Stage 7 Camp Collab with Elizipeazie (Part 1), (Part 2), (Part 3)

Vallengarda Campsite, 10 Moon

Kaylie groaned as she heard the rain still coming down. “Why is it still raining?” she grumbled.

Jayde gave a pained growl as he sat up in the tent. “Welcome to Crugandr,” he said, opening his bag and pulling one small, pleasant-smelling leaf out of a jar. “By the way,” he added, putting the leaf in his mouth and swallowing it, “I’m not driving today. I just took a mercy leaf because my leg and my back feel like I’ve gotten in a fight with a Dyre.”

“Not a problem,” Kaylie replied, also sitting in the tent. “Worst part of all this rain is it means a cold breakfast.”

As the two of them left the tent, with Jayde in his heavy black robe and Kaylie dressed in a pale blue shirt and shorts, they joined Kayden, Malavera, Rukari, and Kivenaal all sitting around what was once a campfire. Breakfast ended up being ham and cheese sandwiches, courtesy of Jayde’s bread and cheese supply, and Kivenaal’s shopping trip the day before providing some smoked and salted ham.

“So, who’s driving?” Malavera asked.

“The road’s going to be a swamp,” Rukari replied. “I’ve never driven in conditions like this.”

“Jayde can’t drive, he’s in a lot of pain and took a mercy leaf. And I don’t know enough about off-roading to try this,” Kaylie admitted.

“If this thing had two more axles, I’d try,” Malavera said.

Before Kayden could even announce that he was willing if no one else was going to drive, Kivenaal said, “I have a little off-road experience. A Bricksley Knight that I made into a 4x4, I’ve taken it out a few times to really shame people in multi-thousand-dollar rigs. Mud like this is a bit nastier than I’ve done before, but I’m willing to try it.”

Vallengarda Campsite, 1 Sun

The rain kept pouring down even as the clock in Vallengarda’s town square rang out one lone time, announcing it was 1 Sun. Jayde got up first and made his way to the truck, climbing into the middle seat in the rear bench with a grimace and a groan. Kaylie took her usual seat with Rukari stuck in the back row driver’s window seat to keep him away from the pedals. Kayden was in the front mid bench, with Malavera to his right, and Kivenaal behind the wheel to his left.

The Bricksley roared to life and scattered mud everywhere as Kivenaal crammed it into first gear and 4-low, quickly ripping through the gears across the campsite.

On the Road

With locked differentials and a heavy right foot, Kivenaal threw the Bricksley into the mud. Immediately, the rear windows became covered in mud splatter, the truck squirmed underneath them as all four all-terrain tires tried to find some grip, and the engine snarled in response to the increased load.

“Can we try not to throw me around?” Jayde grumbled.

“Sorry. It’s mud, it’s going to be rough,” Kivenaal said.

“Next time, Jayde, lift with your legs, not with your back,” Kaylie said, though even she groaned as Kivenaal sent it over a dirt mound and got all four wheels off the ground.

“Fucking hell!” Malavera said with a grimace. “Don’t do that again!”

Kivenaal avoided the second one, but in the process, ended up lining up on a third one just as the Bogatir of Team Wayfarers shot past. The Bricksley took flight yet again, and Malavera scrambled around in the glove-box for the air-sickness bags he’d stashed in there, promptly losing his breakfast.

“Quit hitting jumps!” Kaylie yelled to Kivenaal. “Malavera can’t handle negative G’s!”

“Sorry, there was a truck there!” Kivenaal replied, sloshing the truck around the next corner as Malavera dropped the sick-bag into a plastic bag and tied it shut.

Another hill sent them sliding down in the mud where they reached the bottom with a hearty splash, getting mud up onto the windshield, the roof rack, the water cans, and all over the contents of the bed.

“This is going to be a bitch to clean,” Kayden groaned.

“It is raining sideways. The truck will be clean by morning,” Rukari said.

As they soared up another hill, three windshield wipers running on “Fast” mode, a crossing guard closed the gate, blocking the road leading up to the tracks. Kivenaal stomped on the clutch and the brake, the truck shuddering slightly as the back end kicked out and threatened to become the front end, hauling the big truck to a stop mere feet from the gate. They heard a whistle in the distance and Kivenaal scowled. “Even out here, I get stuck waiting for freight trains! This better not be a two-mile-long coal hauler!” Kivenaal grumbled. Then, they heard the whistle again, closer this time, a few long moments before the Dione of Team RK Series Racing rushed past. “What the fuck?” Kivenaal said, staring at where the Dione had gone. “How did they… When did they do that!?” Kivenaal asked.

“Are you blind?” Kayden quipped. “They had it parked next to our truck yesterday with that rail system on there.”

“Right, I’m never taking cinnamon again,” Kivenaal said, as the gate was finally opened. He put his foot down and the engine roared as the Bricksley clawed its way through the mud, up and over the railroad crossing, and back into the mud.

A couple of hours, a bunch of turns, a few hundred gallons of mud, a fuel stop, and two barf-bags later, Kivenaal saw a second railroad crossing, this time wide open with no trains nearby.

“No. No! Don’t you dare!” Malavera yelled as Kivenaal floored it up the slight uphill grade. The Bricksley left the ground almost gracefully, all four tires spinning and slinging mud, black sooty fumes blasting out of the exhaust, before crashing back down to the ground with a clattering, rattling thud. Malavera, likewise, filled another barf bag, adding it to his plastic bag that now contained four of them. “Keep. The. Truck. On. The. Ground!” Malavera yelled.

Not long afterward, they saw the mining camp approaching, along with a nice wooden sign saying, “Welcome to Addavuul” by the road. Kivenaal fought with the truck as it kicked the back end out sideways and managed to hit the sign with mud just before arriving on the gravel road.

Addavuul Campsite, 4-and-16 Sun

As the Bricksley crunched its way, filthy and dirty, into the old gravel-covered mining camp, everyone in the truck was relieved that the long drive was over.

“I’ll be keeping an eye on the rings,” Rukari said.

“Not a problem. Chances are, some teams will have to tow each other out of that mess,” Kayden said, “but there’s always the chance that someone ends up left far behind.”

“Fucking rain’s going to make lunch almost impossible, though,” Kaylie said.

Jayde shook his head, clearing a space around a fire pit, pulling four sticks and a large, perforated square of leather out of his bag, driving the sticks into the ground around the fire pit, and then securing the leather. Kivenaal grabbed several large pieces of firewood out of the Bricksley’s bed-mounted toolbox-of-holding, brought them over to the fire pit, and helped get them lit.

“Now we have a weather-resistant cooking fire,” Jayde said.

Malavera looked miserable as he found a garbage barrel and put his four paper barf bags into it. “Kivenaal,” Malavera said, “if you ever jump the truck again, I’m going to knock your lights out.”

3 Likes

TEAM HILLBILLY ROLLERS

Earlier parts

PART 0.1 - A prologue to the prologue
PART 0.2 - Another piece of the prologue puzzle
PART 0.3 - Viva la IP 4Z!
PART 0.4 - Robotman
PART 0.5 - Interference problems
PART 0.6 - Can I play Tetris?
PART 0.7 - Tangerine and familiar
PART 1.0 - Now things got serious!
PART 1.1 - Hello, Thibault and friends!
PART 1.2 - Poor kitty
PART 1.3 - Curse you, Team Oil Crisis!
PART 1.4 - Interlude
PART 2.0 - Bird bird bird, bird is the word!
PART 2.1 - D. Head
PART 2.2 - Good night!
PART 3.0 - Freeway Rockstar
PART 3.1 - DISCO TJO DISCO HEJ
PART 3.2 - Van-Werewolf 1-0
PART 4.0 - Calm after the storm
PART 5.0 - Mirror mirror on the…oh, crap!
PART 5.1 - Hello, little puppies!
PART 6.0 - Speed
PART 6.1 - GIMME OXYGEN! (feat. Madrias)
PART 6.2 - Steamin’ hot! (feat. Elizipeazie)
PART 7.0 - The Kayak
PART 7.1 - Marie the valkyrie?
PART 7.2 - Vegetables
PART 7.3 - Time to tie things up.
PART 8.0 - The hangover
PART 8.1 - The new team member

PART 9.0 - From pink to brown

Janne and Andreas woke up quite early in the morning, but the hardest part was to wake up Marie that was in a less happy mood.

“Have you been sleeping well?”, Janne asked.

“Yeah, until you guys woke me up. Fucking idiots.”, she said. “I had such a wonderful dream, the best one I have ever had in my life!”

“Oh. Let’s hear then.”, Janne said.

“I dreamt that everything I did touch became beercans, and then, I looked around, and the lakes were made of beer, and the river, and the ocean, and it started raining, and it was raining beer, and…”

“Oh. For some reason I am not surprised.”, he answered, a bit salty.

“If I found the bastard that stole our beer, he or she is going to regret it!”, she said.

The team packed themselves and their equipment into the van, but immediately found a puddle on the floor.

“Oh, crap. The windshield seems to be leaking”, Andreas said.

“Yeah. We have to try to fix it with duct tape I guess”, Janne answered.

“If it only had been leaking beer”, Marie said. “What’s the reason for being away from work if you can’t even get wasted?”, she sighed.

With some duct tape applied over the leak, this wonderful tune blaring in the speakers, and Sonic sleeping on the dashboard, the team was one of the last to get away. Though, rather immediately they were passing the Yinzer belonging to team Jockey, that they seemed to just have pushed out from a place in the mud where it had been stuck.

“Fucking jackasses. Bringing a little clown car to a race with stints requiring offroad capabilities”, Andreas said.

“Well, I am quite happy that we have the AWD version”, Janne said. “Not only is the RWD version hampered by the fact that it is only rear wheel drive, it is lower too, and does not even have a limited slip.”

“Sure”, Andreas said, “but it is absolutely not an offroader.”

“Negative”, Janne answered. "The fact that it is loaded down with all this crap does not help in the loose mud probably, and the A/T tyres are a bit worn out.

Still, with the wipers going on full speed, and an alarming consumption of washer fluid, the team managed to pass multiple 2wd cars with troubles. First, team Fallen Angels. Then Team Witchlight and Team Black Rabbit in rapid succession, and soon after, Team Gearknobs.

“The AWD seems to be giving us a slight favour”, Janne said and nodded.

“True”, Andreas said. “But I don’t want to floor it flat out. This large box is not exactly stable in the heavy crosswinds, and we are slipping around like a horny snake already.”

At the refuelling stop, all the team members laughed. There was actually not much visible of the pink paint anymore.

“Well, not even nature likes Marie’s paintjob”, Andreas said. “But honestly speaking I wouldn’t touch it now. It looks better this way.”

Shortly after the tank stop, they passed Team QR47 that seemed o be finishing off some repairwork on the Mara. Andreas was driving as fast as he dared to, but all of a sudden…

"Oh no, we will have to wait for a train now, he said, standing at the railroad crossing. Though the eyes of all three team members became big as saucers when the “train” passing was the orange Dione…

"WAIT…WHAT? This I need more info about., Janne said. “Andreas, floor it!”

“But…”

“I SAID FLOOR IT!”

Luckily enough, it was mostly gravel left for the rest of the stint. A surface Andreas was very similar with, and also what was blasting from all the wheels when they did a very rushed parking job close to the Dione.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IT?,Janne was screaming as he went out of the van. “IT IS FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE!” he said with his jaw dropped, pointing at the Dione

TO BE CONTINUED

@Elizipeazie @AndiD @Executive @Tzuyu_main @Fayeding_Spray @BannedByAndroid @NoahC

2 Likes

i shall get to you once i am at 8 camp with my plot

i got tied up coordinating three separate plotlines happening concurrently

2 Likes
Previous Parts (Includes fillers and mini-shorts).

Prologue
Part 0- Prologue

Part 1- Simulation

Part 2- Rev up your engines

Part 4.1- At the Starting Party (Technically part 3.)

Part 5- A mere absence. We are Back. And this time it is NOT A filler.

Post-Prologue- Onwards.
Part 1 Post Prologue- We’re in Crugandr.

Part 2- Are we there yet? (Filler version)

Part 3- We’ve gotten absolutely fucking dusted!

Part 4- Oh no, the undead! THEY’RE REAL!, oh wait its werewolves not zombies!

Part 5- May the tragedies, and travesties start.

Part 5.1- The Chickening

Part 6- A third team member (aka Matt’s new addition to the team, his ginger girlfriend and ex-Schnell engineer.)

Part 7- The awakening of the car.

Part 7.5, (Mini-short)

Part 7.6, Another Mini-short.

Part 8- Oh no! Our car, it’s broken! (Aka Izzy doing the driving sin. Reasonable rage sold seperately.)

Part 8.1, Mini-short 3

Part 9- Hopefully smooth-sailing!

Team Slow
Chapter 3, Part 10

The never-ending reliabillity (That Does NOT exist) of the XL53.

Meanwhile at Vallengarda Campsite, 1:30 Sun
(might end up using the Madrias format, pre-current stage, and current stage segments.)

After fixing the coil pack of the car, getting raged at, alongside staring at an automobile for 30 minutes. The car finally goes through the mud after shoving it into 4-Low, and some unknown terrains, the team head toward Addavuul Camp. Just prior to moving, the team disagreed on Izzy driving for the first half. She got into the vehicle, nearly tried driving there with it, and then Izzy was told to move it to the backseat. She then climbs to the backseat, accidentally revving the engine to redline, then slides off the pedal and then accidentally plants her ass onto the steering wheel, making a beep. Matt then pulls her to the backseat

“We do not have time to lose, also how the fuck is it possible to hit your ass on the wheel, arent you that short?” Matt said. He then takes over the driver seat as of the team’s driver change cycle sometimes. Izzy then sits in the backseat. Matt then gets the vehicle in gear and goes to the next campsite.

Heading to next campsite.
Now that that Matt has effectlvely had to cope with the driver seat height of the last driver who was driving. Which happened to be Isabella, which didn’t really make much of a difference in terms of driving height, Whilst Izzy was more-or-less looking at the the abandoned mine from the backseat of the car.

We eventually then reach the mud we have to go through “Alright, close your windows!” Matt says, and then John closes his window just before the vehicle gets caked in mud, like a cake icing. The vehicle struggles a bit, but then after placing it into 4-Lo it gets going. It gets a bit stuck and then Izzy takes the wheel for the second half.

“You know, this is actually fun to do, just be able to go to an entirely different world and drive there” Izzy says. “I actually agree” John replies to her. We then stick it into high range and arrive at 7:25 Sun.

At the Campsite
Izzy shuts off the vehicle, now that the team knows she hasnt drank an ounce of alcohol behind the wheel on the second half. John then cleans up the vehicle from that mud and then both Matt and Izzy just sit in the front seat of the vehicle, as she took the driver seat and reclined it back “Dang, it’s so comfortable I might actually sleep in the car. Oh wait, the handle doesn’t work!”

“You’re better off cleaning the vehicle Izzy, oh and when getting out through the window cause that door handle inside doesn’t work, make sure to not go on the accelerator and rev the shit out of it” Matt replies whilst Izzy tries climbing out the vehicle. She then starts the engine to open the window and then she climbs out. She then reaches in whilst reaching in for the ignition groaning and then turns it off and then she gets out the car, Matt also gets out the car and then cleans the vehicle up. Some time passes. 7:45 Sun and they start setting up the tent. “Isabella, whilst you’re at it, clean up the motor oil from your hands” John goes up to her and replies. “never realised how short you two are” he mutters. They then finish up setting up the tent that casually connects to the other half of the vehicle in a way.
Izzy then comes back with clean hands, and not ones with a pea sized amount of motor oil on them. Probably why we’re being accused. Matt sits on the floor on the tent in his sleeping bag. John makes the team some food. Izzy is in the frontseat of the car (Passenger) with the seat all the way back and taking an nap. John is then cooking the team hot-dogs. “Where even is my girl?” Matt says. “In the car, she might be out of there soon. given how hot it is, from the last time i checked the window was open.” John replies back to him. Just as he called it, Izzy then wakes up and goes and gets her sleeping bag and goes in the tent and takes a nap. 8 Sun rises, The food is finished, he then serves the food and cleans up the cooking utensils.
TO BE CONTINUED, Longer than usual btw. Most likely more narration than dialogue.

2 Likes